1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Right aspect ratio?

I am trying to use a background graphic for a web page. The background graphic shows a menu bar at the top and the bottom and some graphics at the left amd right sides. Right now, the graphic doesn't come to the bottom of the screen, so I need to change the aspect ratio of the graphic. I am trying to determine the correct aspect ratio so that it properly fills the screen on various screens (tablet vs. laptop vs. large monitor.

How, without experimenting too much, determine the right dimensions of the graphic?

Do I need different graphics for different screen sizes? Hopefully not.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The only good way to do that is to split the image into multiple parts. If you can't for some reason, then yes, you'll need multiple versions of the image, however, keep in mined that on desktop computers a a very wide range of viewport size ratios is possible.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks for your advice.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo