1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

SOLVED: Chrome / Safari Font Sizes

Hi All

I have been contacted by a visitor to one of my sites to let me know that the fonts on a menu are too large but only on Chrome and Safari.

I'm struggling to figure out why the web-kit browsers are enlarging the fonts so much any help that I can get from you guys would be gratefully received.

Font size is fine FF3.5 and IE8

Site is http://www.pwfs.co.uk and its the horizontal navigation menu that the issue occurs.

Hoping someone can help

John
    Last edited by deemo; September 28th, 2009 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Marking Solved
  3. Contributing User

I've just compared your website in Firefox, Opera, Chrome and Safari, and all browsers display the site identical including the horizontal menu. The only difference in Chrome and Safari that I can see is the font for the rest of the page. It seems that those 2 browsers use a different font for the rest of the page, and it causes the 'Market & Economy News' entry in the main menu to show on 2 lines.

The only thing I can think of doing is being more specific with the font you want it to use. Like instead of telling it to use a family of different fonts, specify the font you want it to use but make sure it's a standard font. I don't know if this will fix it however.

PS. IE6 uses the same font as Firefox and Opera for the entire site, but it's a little bit larger and it makes 'Market & Economy News' and also 'Personal Finance News' show up on 2 lines, but it still looks very well done.
    Last edited by LDHosting; September 26th, 2009 at 08:35 AM.
    Quality European Web Hosting - LDHosting.com
    High Quality, Low Cost Web Hosting Services
    www.ldhosting.com
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks LD

I managed to sort it by specifying the font size for the menu rather than letting it be derived by a % as it had been previously, just couldn't get on here to say I had sorted it.

As for IE6 I spell out that we do not optimise for it anymore so that doesn't bother me.

Thanks For Your help
  7. Eager to learn
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Couldn't you just use a smaller font size?
    "Quality of responses may vary. I reserve the right to change my mind for any reason what-so-ever without admitting I was wrong. I'd prefer to change your mind however, it's easier on my ego". - jwdonahue

"so no-one has actually bothered to post an original quote ? what's wrong with making up your own?"
    - marnixR

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo