1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question CSS 1, Netscape 4.x and background+width issue need workaround

CSS 1, Netscape 4.x and background+width issue need workaround:
    I am working on a website template and converting it to CSS. I have seperated my CSS1 from my CSS 2 sheet and am currently trying to get NN 4.x to do what I have read it won't do and have no idea how to make it do what I want. BTW:Please do not advise me to drop NN 4.x, unfortunately it is not within my power to do so.

What I need to do is put a background color on an H1 header that will be only as wide as the table cell (column) it is in. (3 column plus header and footer layout). BTW: I cannot drop the table either.

My problem is that when I get the background to work (instead of just surrounding the text) I cannot get it to be liquid and remain inside its cell. When I set the width to %'s it just pushes the other 2 columns out of the way even when the % is not the width of the column. Unfortunately, pixels are not flexible enough for this layout.

So, how do I get a background color on an H1 tag that fully expands to the width of the column (not just the text) using CSS 1 and NN 4.x while not destroying the table layout?
    Thank you for your help-
    Schach

PS: This is not an issue of my code, but an issue of the NN 4.x CSS support. So I do not need to have the code debugged, but instead I need a hack or method to outsmart the browser, so I can duplicate a site in CSS. This site is currently heavily reliant on tables, something we want to change, but can't unless we can reproduce the site in NN 4.x.
    (You can email me if you would like to do that)
  3. macho member

sure is frus working with NN 4.x ...

This works ... in a way ... if your background is plain color, otherwise border line will show.
    <h1 style="border: 1px solid white; width:100%; background: yellow;">

take away the border declaration and it will just stop working, tried putting an image in there sized to 100% hoping to stretch the block element, but that doesn't work.

if you resize your nn4.x the 100% <h1> doesn't stretch consistently with the rest of the page ... arrrrghhh!!!

you have my sympathies
  5. No Profile Picture

Arrow CSS 1, Netscape 4.x and background+width issue need workaround

ARGGGHHH NN 4 - LOL

Thank you - it helped some in that I can get more of the bar across the cell without pushing it out. I cnanot do the 100% unfortunately because it pushes the 3rd column out, but it helped for sure..

Originally Posted by bambam
    sure is frus working with NN 4.x ...

This works ... in a way ... if your background is plain color, otherwise border line will show.
    <h1 style="border: 1px solid white; width:100%; background: yellow;">

take away the border declaration and it will just stop working, tried putting an image in there sized to 100% hoping to stretch the block element, but that doesn't work.

if you resize your nn4.x the 100% <h1> doesn't stretch consistently with the rest of the page ... arrrrghhh!!!

you have my sympathies
  7. No Profile Picture

CSS 1, Netscape 4.x and background+width issue need workaround

Does anyone have a definite work around? This one helps, but if I can find a way to be exact it would be very good for what I am trying to do....

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo