1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to get CSS Border to go all the way

I have two DIVs side by side enclosed with header and footer DIVs. I want a border between the two DIVS that stretches between the header and footer DIVs.

When I set the right hand DIV to have a left border it works only if the right hand DIV has a greater height. (The height is dynamic according to how much text is placed there. I do not want to move the border on a daily basis as the amount of text changes).

Two examples
    www (dot) cykeltours (dot) se/test_border1/
    Correct: The border goes all the way down. (Because the right hand DIV has a greater height than the left one).

www (dot) cykeltours (dot) se/test_border2/
    Incorrect. The border stops at the bottom of the right-hand DIV. (Because the right hand DIV has a smaller height than the left one).

I know "why" the border does this, it's because it only runs to the end of text. But surely there is a workaround for this?

Any help greatly appreciated

Garry Jones
    Sweden
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

The attached file is how I would go about it...using a contentwrapping DIV and a background image.
    The attached file has the image included base64 encoded. Just rename from .txt to .html to see result.
    Attached Files
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks, nearly there

Originally Posted by DonR
    The attached file is how I would go about it...using a contentwrapping DIV and a background image.
    The attached file has the image included base64 encoded. Just rename from .txt to .html to see result.
    Thanks for that, now I just need to understand how that actually works.

How can I do it with an actual background image? I tried with a color 10px x 10px blank image with strange results.

What exactly is the role of the image in getting the border to resize?

Cheers for any help.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

the background image was created to be the entire width of the DIV [~1060px in this case] and the vertical line I created in the image at 190px in from the left [which is where your CSS placed the border]..I then used the marquee tool in photoshop to create a 1px high by 1060px wide image and saved that...and used it as background-image for the wrapping DIV and told it to repeat-y which is to repeat vertically.

If you would rather see the actual image instead of having the base64 encoded version of it, I can attach it, so, you have something to actually see as a file.

HERE is another way to do equal heights without using image.

if you do a "google" for "equal height column css", you should find what you need to be able to do what you want.
    Last edited by DonR; September 15th, 2013 at 12:38 AM.
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks

Originally Posted by DonR
    if you do a "google" for "equal height column css", you should find what you need to be able to do what you want.
    Thanks, I found a way that was a little easier for me to grasp. I am however sure as time progresses I will realise there are better ways to do this. Need a bit more knowledge in css first.
    I added a new div around the part I needed the border in with a 1px background image at the border limit.
    <code>
    div.vvv {
    background: url(bg-vert-line.gif) 190px 0 repeat-y;
    width:1060px;
    }
    </code>

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo