1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CSS - Browser Compatibility Issues

Hello, newbie here:

I'm helping a friend redesign his website, and I'm having a few problems regarding the look across different browsers. I'm kinda new to CSS, so any help would be awesome!

http://www.manplusrocks.com/MAVIN/template.html
    http://www.manplusrocks.com/MAVIN/css/mavin.css

The site looks just fine on IE 6.0 (except for a little gap that the Javascript leaves on the top image), and other browsers seem to be ignoring certain DIV tags. I don't know if they are ID'd incorrectly or if it's another issue...

Any comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you add a <p style="clear:both;">&nbsp;</p> to your code at the bottom of the div that holds the other divs, this will stretch the background to contain all the divs in the center. Be aware that IE is displaying this incorrectly by stretching the containing div to fit the content.
  5. Thanks Johnny Hart (BC) R.I.P.

Let me expand on Indy's commment. Never ever use IE as your testbed. It is a buggy, obsolete, non-standards-compliant browser. If you code against IE, you will learn bad habits and poor coding. Use a modern compliant browser such as any of the Moz/Gecko family (Mozilla, Firefox, Camino, Beonex, K-melion, AOL for Mac OS X, Netscape6+, or Galeon) , the khtml family (Konqueror, Safari), or Opera7.2+. At this time, Moz/Gecko is the most compliant and Firefox is the best of breed.

If you code against IE, trying to make your code work in modern browsers will cause severe tired-head. Coding against the standards means that you only need to apply known hacks, work-arounds, or just plain dumbing down to make it work in IE. It might &#112;iss you off, but it won't make you crazy.

cheers,

gary
    There are those who manage to build a web site without knowing what they're doing; thereby proving to themselves they do, indeed, know what they're doing.

My html and css workshop, demos and tutorials.
    Ask a better question, get a better answer.
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the comments! I'm now using Firefox to check any layout problems that can/will occur.

I looked more at the code; it seems my problem is that I've been misusing the ID and CLASS tags. IE seems to not differentiate between the two, which could explain why my page looks fine in that browser and not any other browser...

Back to the drawing board...
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

www.w3schools.com is a good reference on xhtml and css.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo