1. cosmos curator
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Question CSS cascading through frames

Does anyone know of any way to cascade the effects of a css stylesheet on a frameset through the frames?
    R.T.F.M - Its the only way to fly...

"No matter what you do, or how good it is, someone will always ask for more features. Or to change the colour of something, then change their minds."

Personal:
    experience// 8 Years Web Development
    technologies// Standards-compliant, valid, & accessible (x)HTML/CSS, XML/XSL/XPath/XQuery/XUpdate, (OOP) PHP/(My)SQL, eXist/Xindice/XMLDBs
    packages// Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash/Fireworks/Director
    environment// FC2, MySQL, Lighttpd, PHP5, Mojavi/Agavi
    site// //refactored.net/ (Coming soon...)
    quote// Programming is the eternal competition between programmers who try to make apps more and more idiot proof and the universe that makes dumber idiots. So far, the universe is winning...
  3. No Profile Picture
    Senior Citizen
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

The cascading of styles takes place within individual documents; hard to see how this could be applied to a frameset structure, which consists of a hierarchy of window objects. Might be a mechanism to simplify the application of CSS across a frameset, however.
  5. cosmos curator

So there's no way to assign css attributes to a id'd frame? Such as:
    Code:
    <style>
    #mainFrame body { };
    #subFrame body { };
    </style>
    <frameset ... >
       <frame id="mainFrame" ... ></frame>
       <frame id="subFrame" ... ></frame>
    </frameset>
    Or something similar?

"No matter what you do, or how good it is, someone will always ask for more features. Or to change the colour of something, then change their minds."

Personal:
    technologies// Standards-compliant, valid, & accessible (x)HTML/CSS, XML/XSL/XPath/XQuery/XUpdate, (OOP) PHP/(My)SQL, eXist/Xindice/XMLDBs
    quote// Programming is the eternal competition between programmers who try to make apps more and more idiot proof and the universe that makes dumber idiots. So far, the universe is winning...
  7. |<.+#f@#+.&.|
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

you can't do that.

if you want diffrent sets of styles, why not use diffrent css files linked to the main pages and subpages.
  9. cosmos curator

Well, i would. But i'm looking for a quick fix to an old site while i develop the new one. there's maybe 50+ poorly created yet simple static html pages on the current site, and because i'm developing the new site, I haven't got time to go through editing all the others.

Thats why a CSS page which cascades through frames would be a blessing - edit the frameset, upload the generic css files... done.

If anyone can think of a quick solution i'd be grateful

Personal:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo