1. No Profile Picture
    The one who gets it done
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CSS and non-CSS browsers

OK, so I spend all this time learning CSS. I look at the stats of visitors to our site, and 5.3%, or about 2000 of them use NN 4.7. The page I did with CSS looks like crap with NN 4.7. And there are other non-CSS browsers that our visitors use - they probably total about 10% or so.

What sort of guidelines do you all use when deciding whether to use CSS or not? I work for a non-profit, and our board has directed us to not limit people who visit our site. Thank God they haven't directed us to work with stone & chisel instead of computers...

I'd be interested in hearing what y'all have to say.

Thanks.

J
  3. T-Shirt Tragic
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

this is an interesting topic...
    If you start using css with DHTMl then you'd very quickly run into problems with cross-browser support... If you avoid css altogether and stick with things like <font> tags you'll also run into cross-browser problems as well as site maintainance hassles.
    My advice would be to stick with bona fide HTML tags such as <h1><h2> .. <p> etc etc and use css to assign styles to those tags (avoid using id and class), this way those browsers that support css will show your aesthetic styles and those that don't will still display the content in a respectable manner.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo