1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CSS, Custom Font...Help??

I'm making a site, and the guy I'm making it for says he wanted a more 'tough' font. So I downloaded a, 'tough' but still readable of course, font. The main page has an iframe, and the content in the iframe is where the text goes that has the tough font. Everything works when it's offline. But when I try uploading it, it's the old font. I even check the source and it's all old. The server is running extremely slow right now, so that might be the problem and it just hasn't uploaded yet or something. Because I also deleted the content files and refreshed the page and it was still old. So, I'll wait a little longer and check or something.

I also know that viewers can't see custom fonts if they don't have them on their pc. So this is kind of seeming pretty pointless. But is there ANYWAY I Can make it viewable to everyone that views the site. So they can see the font even if they don't have it on their pc. Like, make them have it temporarily or something. My friend told me it had something to do with CSS, but I don't really know. Anything I can do to make it work? Is there maybe a Java Script I can use?
  3. :(){ :|:&};:

Code:
    <style type="text/css">
     @font-face { font-family:Garamond; src:url(garamond.eot), url(garamond.pfr); }
    </style>
    I guess that's what he meant?
    regards >_<

ws. fgeller.de
    em. felix@fgeller.de
  5. |<.+#f@#+.&.|
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

@font-face isn't much supported, and one should avoid using it as it taken out of the css2.1 specs.

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/changes.html#q23
  7. No Profile Picture

Nope, didn't work...I don't think. Now I'm having problems with my cookies or something. I tried uploading the new files, and refreshed a lot. deleted cookies, everything, and it was still the old html file. I even deleted the site and it's still there. So...I'll have to get that fixed and figured out before anything.

This is the site if it works or not
    http://www.aemproductions.com/cow/psd4.html

Should have an iframe, and the text within the iframe is what I want to have the custom font.

But if you're confused at what I'm asking for, is there a way to just upload the font to the server, and when a viewer comes to the site, it just temporarily saves in temporary internet files or something, so they can see the font?
  9. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Originally Posted by cow1787
    But if you're confused at what I'm asking for, is there a way to just upload the font to the server, and when a viewer comes to the site, it just temporarily saves in temporary internet files or something, so they can see the font?
    No. There was a way that was being talked about I do believe (the @font-face rule shown above) but I think it failed because 1) no browser really worked on supporting it well and 2) nobody could agree on what format to store the fonts. You couldn't just upload the .ttf file or whatever, they had to be archived into a custom file format for the browser and then loaded.

So afaik it's back to the old way, unless the view has the font, they won't see it. Only way to guarantee a font is seen is to make your text an image.
    Recycle your old CD's, don't just trash them

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo