1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CSS Dynamic Menus

Thank you for your time and assistance. I am working on building my first website in 2 years.

I am very interested in developing a good site interface with standard code that may be easily edited later. Specifically, I am interested in creating dynamic navigation menus that will be supported by as many browsers as possible. I have seen dynamic menus created with javascript, but I know I don't want to do that since some browsers do not support it/or do not have it enabled by default.

Can you comment on whether or not CSS would be a good solution to get around this problem? I have never used CSS to create menus in the past, but it seems very useful for standardizing a site interface. I am also open to other suggestions, what would you do to accomplish this task?
  3. Classical Computing
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

By 'dynamic' menus, do you mean dropdown menus? CSS is a great way to do this, although the one catch is that they don't work in IE6 without JavaScript. (But since you are talking about the future, IE6 is really the past anyway... it's just that millions of people and companies don't seem to have twigged yet!)

The CSS dropdown method that gets most cited here is the Suckerfish method:

Suckerfish Dropdowns

Here are some other refs. The last, from memory, uses no JavaScript, but could be dodgy:
    http://www.alistapart.com/articles/dropdowns/
    http://www.dynamicsitesolutions.com/css/example-menus/3/
    http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/simple_vertical.html
  5. Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Your assumptions are correct with whether or not to use JS for dynamic roll over menus. This question seems to have been asked a lot lately. Many of the examples in Arem's post contain very good examples of roll over menu examples. It will be hard to find menus that work EXACTLY the same in all browsers, but most display it correctly (IE..IE...)
    Use markup the semantic way. You wouldn't want your dog answering the phone for you, would you?
    HTML Validator || CSS Validator -- HTML / CSS Main forums. JavaScript and PHP...maybe
    Bones: HTML; Skin: CSS; Muscle: JavaScript; Brains: PHP; Memory: MySQL
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by groundscape
    Your assumptions are correct with whether or not to use JS for dynamic roll over menus. This question seems to have been asked a lot lately. Many of the examples in Arem's post contain very good examples of roll over menu examples. It will be hard to find menus that work EXACTLY the same in all browsers, but most display it correctly (IE..IE...)
    Thanks for the info. It sounds like you would recommend CSS for drop down menus over any other method. Is this true? Are there any other technologies that I should perhaps look into first before making the final decision?
  9. Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

No. CSS is the ONLY good choice.
    Use markup the semantic way. You wouldn't want your dog answering the phone for you, would you?
    HTML Validator || CSS Validator -- HTML / CSS Main forums. JavaScript and PHP...maybe
    Bones: HTML; Skin: CSS; Muscle: JavaScript; Brains: PHP; Memory: MySQL

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo