Thread: css frustration

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

css frustration

hey-

I'm trying to use style sheets on a promotional page of my band's website. I've been using stylesheets forever, so it's not that I'm unfamiliar, just thought i'm running into two problems. One is text sizing. I used the 'font-style:10pt' command to get my text formatted to that particular size, however it won't work. Here's the actual style sheet:

body {background-color:#000000; color:#ffffff; font-family:Verdana,arial; font-size:5pt;}

a:link {color:Blue; text-decoration:none;}

a.hov1:hover {color:#ff6600; text-decoration:none;}

a:visited {color:Maroon; text-decoration:none;}

everything else except for the font-size command is working. am i doing something wrong?

the other problem i was having is with external linking. i just couldn't get it to work at all. I tried using relative and remote paths, changing the location of the .css file, nothing was working. I was using: [link rel="stylesheet" href="http://www.fplg.net/lib/page_temp.css" type="text/css"] ..is that wrong? the external one also contains the same style info as the one posted above.

the link to the page: www.fplg.net/barstar_promo.php
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Keep this in mind: <font> tags are inline style (in your HTML) so they have a very high specificity - which is a fancy way of saying they win out over stylesheet CSS every time. You can assign CSS using font as a selector:

font {color:#ffffff; font-family:Verdana,arial; font-size:5pt;}

You can add classes to apply style differently to <font>s:

font.red {color:red;}
    font.blue {color:blue;}

<font class="red" color="red">

These will overrule anything assigned in the <font> tag itself, while non-CSS users will get the inline style. Or you could just dump the inline stuff altogether and separate content & style completely.

The 'link' looks OK - hard to judge w/o knowing the file path. No HTML in CSS files, btw.
  5. No Profile Picture

I'm familiar with the fact that anything in the <font> tags will overide a style sheet, but why is it that the text size is displayed incorrectly when i clearly have a font-size command in the body section of the style sheet?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Try losing the hash.
  9. No Profile Picture

the hash? what in the hell is that?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

font {font-size:[size=huge]#[/size]10 pt;}
  13. No Profile Picture

maybe I'm on crack, but i didn't see any hashes in the style sheet next the font commands/tags?

are you saying take ALL hashes out? ...i'm pretty sure that those are needed when using the RGB color codes?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hey -

I cut & pasted the above rule directly out of the linked page from your original post - which I went back and checked and, it's still there. There's also a space in it - not allowed.

Guess you're on crack.

Let me know if you want to discuss this in a civil manner. We don't get paid all that well for hanging around here.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo