1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CSS layout using <div>

I'm working on converting a website from tables to div's and running into one little issue. The site is a basic header on top, navigation on left, content on right and a footer on the bottom.

I would like the navigation div to grow in height to match the height of the content div so that the background fills the left side of the page. I have placed the nav and content divs in a container div and set a min-height on the container. I was hoping that that would let me place height: 100% on the navigation div but it isn't growing ever. Is there a way to get something like this done?

FYI, the site is currently at http://users.adelphia.net/~mmorasch/
  3. I'm just an IF statement

what i would do is create the left column a background image for the whole page. that way it gets repeated down to the bottom of the page regardless. make sense? and then u can even put a header image at the top that covers the column if u dont want it going completly to the top of the page.
    "In a way, we're dead already"
  5. No Profile Picture

thing is i don't want the left column to go all the way down the page. i just want it to go far enough down so that it ends at the same point the content div does
  7. mod_dev_shed
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Create a div to hold both the nav and content divs. In this div, create the background image you want to go all the way to the bottom; use CSS to repeat it vertically, but not horizontally. Then put the nav div and content div inside this one. Nav images to on top of the background image of the container div. The nav div will not actually expand to match that of the content div, but the background will.
    # Jeremy

Explain your problem instead of asking how to do what you decided was the solution.
  9. No Profile Picture

thanks, that works perfectly!
  11. I'm just an IF statement

ohh, i see. i completly miss understood your question.
    "In a way, we're dead already"

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo