Thread: Css menu

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Css menu

Hello,

I'm looking for a CSS menu that works like the one liked to below, but without the Javascript. Can something similar be done with just HTML and CSS?

dhtmlgoodies dot com /index.html?whichScript=slidedown_menu2
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Welcome to DevShed Forums, itsa_wallaby.

JavaScript is still needed to do animations/transitions in a cross-browser compatible way.

Do you have a particular reason for wanting to avoid JavaScript? It can be a really good thing when JavaScript scripts are written following best practices.

P.S. As you found out new users are restricted from posting URLs until they have made 5 posts. You may need to get around this by leaving out the "http://" and putting a space before each ".". Yes this rule is annoying, but the administrators say it's necessary for limiting spam.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Learn CSS. | PHP includes | HTML Validator | CSS validator

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the reply. I'm not actually sure why I need to avoid Javascript, I just know that my boss wants nothing but HTML, XHTML, and CSS on the website. I think he mumbled something about Javascript not working the same in all browsers.

Thanks for the tip.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, it's more like CSS doesn't work the same on all browsers, and it treats IE (currently the world's most popular browser) the worst.

JavaScript is your friend. Embrace it. Besides, straight CSS menus can be cumbersome, and won't give you that 'Web 2.0' look all the kids are wild about these days. And as for JavaScript, check out jQuery. Lots of very pretty eye-candy-sweet menus that can often be initiated with just a few lines of code.

That said, check out this.
  9. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by itsa_wallaby
    I think he mumbled something about Javascript not working the same in all browsers.
    Browsers have changed over the years. There aren't as many incompatibilities as there used to be.

Also how good or bad JavaScript is perceived as being really depends on how well a given script is written. Scripts can be written to progressively enhance pages so that they are usable when JavaScript support is not available (or the browser is too old for the script to work), while adding a nice touch for people open to a richer user experience.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Learn CSS. | PHP includes | HTML Validator | CSS validator

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  11. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Most of these effects are written in Java script and it is also very beneficial. As many of CSS effects doesn't work well in all the browsers and java script is user friendly.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo