Results: Should we seperate ccs into it's own forum? 

Voters
17 You may not vote on this poll

• Yes
    35.29%
  • No
    11  64.71%
  • Canned Sardine Syrup?
    0%
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

css should be it's own forum

With all the hype these days about finally meeting CSS specs and designing without tables, I think this topic needs more focus. What do you think?
  3. |<.+#f@#+.&.|
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

i disagree, there shouldn't be a need for a forum just for css.
  5. No Profile Picture
    what do I know about diamonds?
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

i said yes, but then if css got its own forum, javascript would need its own forum, and then we are left with html, which defanatly does not need a whole forum all to itself

7. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

As a Moderator on that board, from my observations, the only one of the 3 that I would give its own board would be Javascript. I've found the occasionally, complex JS questions can get buried under more simple HTML or CSS issues. That, and it *might* keep the clueless from posting Javascript issues in the Java forum, which happens *way* too much.

However, the traffic on that board between the 3 topics really doesn't (IMnsHO) justify splitting the topics at all. If the HTML/JS/CSS board ever gets to the level of the PHP board, then it might become an issue. As it stands, the combination neatly concatenates 'client side' web development in one central location, which in and of itself could be seen as a boon to users.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  9. Contributing User

Being that I am newer than most here, my input hardly matters... BUT... I think the combo of HTML/JS/CSS is perfect for its own forum. At least for me, I use one, I use them all so taking CSS out and giving it its own forum is taking away from the rest. Simply speaking, the client side stuff goes hand and hand.

Until the ability to stop using html, js and css in a single line of code (which would be no time soon, lol) I think CSS is fine where it is.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I guee my main reasoning for this is not stupid css questions about syntax and font colors, but I mean layout with CSS. Which is a HUGE and very important topic right now. In 2 years tables will only be used to store tabular data, so I think most of us need to get on the ball about this.
  13. Second highest poster :p

If there is enough postings to warrant a seperate forum then it will be created. Currently there are not enough CSS postings to warrant making it a seperate forum.

Also many people are using Javascript with CSS for DHTML stuff which would confuse people about where to put their question. Is the problem with the Javascript code or the CSS code?
    - Andreas Koepke

Koepke Photography

15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

When you take a hard look at CSS...it's really quite simple and there aren't that many unique questions relating specifically to it. Sure there's alot of "why doesn't this work", or "how do I do this", but there are rarely any questions that are unique and pure CSS. Usually the fundamental questions like ("How do I do columns?", "How does a float work?") have been answered in many different places, so those topics would quickly get old. And most other topics require a mix of html and css, which would do better in the general dhtml forum anyways since it's not a strict css issue.

I agree that if anything, javascript would be most deserving of it's own forum since it is a rather sophisticated language, and is used in places other than dhtml (rarely). But the number of people who are that familiar with javascript is real low. Of those that are true javascript gurus, the number who are that much of a power user is even less. So that forum would be about as useful as a forum on mideval basketweaving.
  17. Second highest poster :p

well the last bit of Javascript I wrote was 530 lines worth... good fun
    - Andreas Koepke

Koepke Photography

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo