1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CSS padding problem

Im running IE6 and its on an Intranet so for the moment Im only keen on getting it to work in IE5/6.

I have got the following HTML and CSS.

When I remove the CSS 'display: block; padding-bottom: 0px;' the links list views fine, but when I include it, the list spaces right out and I can't control the level of padding. Its really weird.. Im pretty sure this is where the error is but Im not exactly sure what it is.. I have not had problems in the past implementing a display type of BLOCK before, so not sure what is doing it now... Any ideas would be great...

Can post the whole template and assets if that helps...

Code:
    <ul><li class="mainNav"><a href="about.htm" onMouseOver="MM_showMenu(window.mm_menu_1111120312_5,180,160,null,'navigation1');" onMouseOut="MM_startTimeout();">About Us</a></li>
    <li class="mainNav"><a href="1.htm" onMouseOut="MM_startTimeout();" onMouseOver="MM_showMenu(window.mm_menu_1015140727_0,170,170,null,'navigation1');">Our Programs</a></li>
    <li class="mainNav"> <a href="1.htm" onMouseOut="MM_startTimeout();" onMouseOver="MM_showMenu(window.mm_menu_1020105028_0,170,185,null,'navigation1');">Managing our People</a></li>
    <li class="mainNav"> <a href="1.htm" onMouseOut="MM_startTimeout();" onMouseOver="MM_showMenu(window.mm_menu_1020115125_0,170,195,null,'navigation1');">Managing our Money</a></li>
    <li class="mainNav"> <a href="1.htm" onMouseOut="MM_startTimeout();"
    onMouseOver="MM_showMenu(window.mm_menu_1020121338_4,170,220,null,'navigation1');">Supporting our Business</a></li>
    <li class="mainNav"> <a href="1.htm" onMouseOut="MM_startTimeout();" onMouseOver="MM_showMenu(window.mm_menu_1020121623_3,170,235,null,'navigation1');">Ministerial and Parliamentary</a></li>
    <li class="mainNav"> <a href="1.htm" onMouseOut="MM_startTimeout();" onMouseOver="MM_showMenu(window.mm_menu_1020121709_2,170,255,null,'navigation1');">IT Systems &amp; Support</a></li>
    <li class="mainNav"> <a href="1.htm" onMouseOut="MM_startTimeout();" onMouseOver="MM_showMenu(window.mm_menu_1020121752_1,170,275,null,'navigation1');">Staff New &amp; Events</a></li>
    <li class="mainNav"> <a href="1.htm" onMouseOut="MM_startTimeout();" onMouseOver="MM_showMenu(window.mm_menu_1020121857_0,170,290,null,'navigation1');">Staff &amp; Territory Offices</a></li>
    </ul>

##############
    CSS
    li.mainNav {
    	list-style: url('../images/common/navarrow.gif');
    	margin-bottom: 5px;
    	font-size : .80em;

}
    li.mainNav a:link {
    	display: block;
    	padding-bottom: 0px;
    	color: #283164;
    	text-decoration: none;
    }
    li.mainNav a:visited{
    	text-decoration: none;	
    }
    li.mainNav a:hover {
    	text-decoration: underline;
    }
    li.mainNav a:active {
    	text-decoration: underline;
    }
    Last edited by Phil_work; January 20th, 2004 at 12:47 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I pulled the display: block; up from the psuedo class and into the li.mainNav. The spacing disappeared. I believe by default that li is a block item anyway so you do not even need it.

What is the effect you are trying to produce?

adam
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The <li>'s are a pop up menu..

What I want is the BLOCK to be created so when I rollover the BLOCK the menu is invoked. At the moment without the block it is when yoiu roll over the text.

As the text is different lengths it looks a bit funny, so I wanted the mouseOver area to be the same regardless of the length of text
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thanks Adam, I will give that a go..

The menu code I have was produced by FireWorks and it is very big, just that menu adds 59kb to the page without even loading content and imagery,

Rekon I will give that site's menu ago,,
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Its amazing how well pure CSS solutions can deliver efficient, beautiful, and functional sites! Hope it works out... A List Apart (ALA) has some awesome articles besides this one.

Adam
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I built my first ever 3 column layout with CSS from that site... Don't check it out enough unfortunatly..

Also I read the article and some of the discussions about it and it doesn't cater for another level of nav.. But thats cool it will work for a different site...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo