Thread: CSS Positioning

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I'm using CSS to display an area of text on a certain location on a page. My problem is what it looks like at different resolutions.

I used this code in the past for a webpage but it was aligned to the left. So I am just figuring now that because it was aligned to the left the position coordinates always remain the same.

But on the page I am working on now I have the content of the page centered. Now when I look at the page in 800x600 the CSS position coordinates have the text in once place and if I look at it in anything higher, its way off ( a bit to the left )

I believe I understand why its doing it but is there another way for me to accomplish what I'm trying to do with CSS?

I'm trying not to have to make the roll over part images of text but will if I cant find a solution to this problem.

Here's an example of the CSS line of code for one section of the rollover text:

(div ID="nav6" STYLE="left: 371; position: absolute; top: 277; visibility: hidden; width: 420; height: 125")

Thanks,
    George
  3. No Profile Picture

If I understand your problem correctly, when you browser is at the desired resolution everything is fine, butwhen it is at lowers resolution the layers move to the right and when it is at higher resolution the layers move to the left...

If that is what happens the only solution is to align your main content to the left... or maybe find a different approach to make rollovers...
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks, thats what I thought!
    Any other solution to do text rollovers other than making it graphics?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Dan
    There is one more way, since your layer moves on resize, i suppose you positioned it "position: absolute" that way the pos is always calculated from the upper left corner of the browser.

If you place the layer (in the code) below for instance an image, and use "position: relative" the layer placement will be in relation to that image. Works with text, table cells and more as a reference point.

It's not as flexible as absolute position, and it reserves space on the page even when invisible, but sometimes it's worth a try.

G'luck Dan
  9. No Profile Picture

As far as I know, the only way to make text rollovers (not graphics) is to rewrite the layer content on rollover. It means that you need a first layer with your text, and a second transparent layer over it (used as sensitive zone).
  11. No Profile Picture

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zebulon:
    As far as I know, the only way to make text rollovers (not graphics) is to rewrite the layer content on rollover. It means that you need a first layer with your text, and a second transparent layer over it (used as sensitive zone).[/quote]

I have a similar problem. How can I make these layers display with respect to a table cell? I need to replace the content of this cell with new text when the user rolls over another section of the page. Can this be done without layers? Thanks for any tips or links.

------------------
    Chris Eisbach
    Usability Degign Engineer