Thread: CSS question

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CSS question

This is a novice question -- I mainly do server-side scripting and never had / took the time to learn css.

If one were to use css (in which font faces, sizes, etc are specified), a visitor using an old browser (pre 4.0 standards) would be unable to see the effects of the css. Right?

How to work around this problem?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Not there when you need me
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

This is correct for NN < 4 and IE < 3. NN 4 and IE 3 have limited and partially buggy CSS support. But since they aren't used anymore that much, this is hardly a problem. You you absolutely need to support old browsers, you can either use tag attributes only or use both CSS and attributes. However, many formatting attributes are deprecated in HTML4/XHTML and use of CSS for formatting is strongly encouraged by W3C.
  5. No Profile Picture

If you're really curious about CSS font formatting support in a variety of browsers, look at the "Font Properties" table on Web Review's "Style Sheet Reference Master Grid," then compare it to statistics like these at thecounter.com.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Just Diggity

If I absolutely had to support IE3-- and NS4-- (after I shot myself in the foot) I'd sniff out those browsers and send them to a compatible page, with only font tags... much easier than trying to figure out the compatibility inconsistancies between the browsers...
    Dave Pedowitz

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo