1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CSS stopped working

We have some images at the top of our pages designating which section they're in, with CSS to put a border around any one of them when it's selected.

That worked fine up until sometime recently. Can't tell when, due to caching, but now the selecting CSS is totally ignored and the actual CSS hasn't changed a bit for 4 months and that was a slight and totally irrelevant change.

The weird thing is that, on the TEST server, with the exact same CSS, it works fine.

Any ideas on what could possibly have happened to make this happen?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

My first guess would be that you host the website on a Linux Server and edited the CSS file on a Windows PC and saved the file with the "Windows NewLines" encoding format instead of the Linux encoding format [which uses Line Breaks].

I can't remember the actual names of the Encoding formats...sorry.
  5. No Profile Picture

[QUOTE=DonR]My first guess would be that you host the website on a Linux Server and edited the CSS file on a Windows PC and saved the file with the "Windows NewLines" encoding format instead of the Linux encoding format [which uses Line Breaks].
    QUOTE]

I wish that was it, but alas, they're both MS servers and the CSS file hasn't been touched in several months.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

have you ran your site files thru a web validator to make sure there isn't some error somewhere.[an unclosed tag or unclosed css rule, property, comment]?
    With the info you have given, its really difficult to give much help.
    Do you have a URL that you can give? since you are new user, just omit the "http://" and separate the domain name with a space like so: www .example. com
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by DonR
    have you ran your site files thru a web validator to make sure there isn't some error somewhere.[an unclosed tag or unclosed css rule, property, comment]?
    With the info you have given, its really difficult to give much help.
    Do you have a URL that you can give? since you are new user, just omit the "http://" and separate the domain name with a space like so: www .example. com
    I'll check validation - it's on an intranet, so you couldn't get to it anyway
  11. No Profile Picture

did you include the css file ?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo