1. Webmaster Extraordinaire
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CSS text error in Netscape

I have a CSS class to make the font larger, yellowish, and bold for certain sections of text. Of course, it works fine in IE 5+, but not in NS 4.X, haven't checked other versions of NS. I don't think I'm ready for the headache.

CSS
    -----
    .indexTitle{
    color : #ff9900;
    font-family : verdana,helvetica,sans-serif;
    font-size : medium;
    font-weight : bold;
    }

HTML
    -------
    <table border="0" width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
    <tr><td colspan="2" class="indexTitle"><?php echo $title; ?></td></tr>
    </table>

It does use PHP, but I can't imagine that would present a problem. Basically, this will not work at all in NS 4.X, it renders the text like the text looks on the rest of the site.
    Craig Anderson
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This is linked from w3c on css bugs: http://www.css.nu/pointers/bugs.html I wish I could give you some better help but css support is quite patchy with version 4 of almost all browsers. If support for NN4.x is required you may have to use the <font> tag...

Hope this helps..

panhead490
  5. Webmaster Extraordinaire

I used to develop quite a bit back in the day, but I've been out of the game for a bit. Is it not worth developing for NN 4.X? What should I support in terms of browsers besides IE 5,6?
    Craig Anderson
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You'll get many different responses to that question. Anything from "Screw netscape..." to "Put in the extra work and do it right..."

I fall in the middle. I currently develop for a company (html/css/php/flash) and though there's no 'standard' we try and hit IE 5/6, Netscape 7 (Mozilla 1.2+), and Opera 7. Don't forget to try different platforms...it can be a pain but IE in macs (a fairly large percentage that are often forgotten about) can be quite quirky.

So a short reply would be to say 'sod off' to NN 4.x? But do not neglect other important browsers.

One last thing, *an approximation* can usually be found (my experience) by testing with IE 5/6 and Netscape 7 (or Mozilla 1.2+) on Windows. You hit almost everybody that way, but I've noticed some issues with advanced html/dhtml not working on macs (IE).

It's quite a bit to think about...you can develop for only IE 5/6 but still lose a significant number of users (10-15%). It's more work to test on multiple platforms and multiple browsers but it definitely shows a commitment to excellence in terms of coding.

peace,
    panhead490
    Last edited by panhead490; July 24th, 2003 at 09:17 PM.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Going back to the original question:
    A simple page with just the code you posted does show exactly as you intended in the NS4 browsers on my machines (a bold orange verdana). The problem appears to be somewhere else in your code...

Hope this helps,
    Jeroen
  11. Webmaster Extraordinaire

It's more work to test on multiple platforms and multiple browsers but it definitely shows a commitment to excellence in terms of coding.
    Is there a good way to test on multiple platforms, other than having those computers actually setup at my location? Maybe some online utility or an actual program?
    Craig Anderson
  13. Webmaster Extraordinaire

The problem appears to be somewhere else in your code...
    I figured out that if I just put the style in the actual page (without using an include line), it works perfectly. Could there be something wrong with the way that I include my style sheets? I know it works in IE, but maybe it needs to look different for NS?

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"> <!--
    if ((navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer")) {
    document.write("<LINK REL=stylesheet HREF='http://www.1aauto.com/ie.css' TYPE='text/css'>");
    } else {
    document.write("<LINK REL=stylesheet HREF='http://www.1aauto.com/nn.css' TYPE='text/css'>");
    }
    // --> </SCRIPT>
    Last edited by craig34; July 25th, 2003 at 11:12 AM.
    Craig Anderson
  15. |<.+#f@#+.&.|
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally posted by craig34
    Is there a good way to test on multiple platforms, other than having those computers actually setup at my location? Maybe some online utility or an actual program?
    you got browsercam.com
    you can get screencaptures from a several browsers on several OS,
    note: it is a payservice,
  17. Webmaster Extraordinaire

Alright everyone, as a closure of sorts, I've found the problem. I had put a comment at the top of my Netscape style sheet, but apparently, you cannot comment using // in style sheets. It messed everything up. God that's annoying.
    Craig Anderson

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo