1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Design Breaks in IE7 and Links don't work in Firefox

Hi. I am thinking my two problems are related!

Here are my two problems:
    My top nav bar links don't work in Firefox and the design breaks in IE7.

Any help would be much appreciated! I have validated it, and I know the slider and video don't validate, but I still have these problems even when I take those out. Thanks so much for any help you can provide!

christthesavior.org

Thank you!!!
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Welcome to DevShed Forums, jnightingale.

The only problem I see in IE7 is that there is a white gap on the right side of the blue nav menu in the sidebar. Is there a bigger problem that I'm missing?

What links? I don't see any links in the top nav bar. I see <div>s and <span>s that seem to have some JavaScript onclick event handlers. I'll other words, that is not how navigational menus should be coded. They should consist of a <ul> (unordered list) and <li>s (list-items) with an <a> (anchor/link) inside each <li>. If you want to place some <span>s inside the <a>s, that's ok too.

If DotNetNuke can't generate proper navigational menus, I would strongly recommend you find a CMS (content management system) that can.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Learn CSS. | PHP includes | HTML Validator | CSS validator

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you for responding. The problem in IE7 is that the slide show doesn't stay put, and there is about 3 inches of white space where it should be.

The top nav bar is put together the way you mentioned - it just isn't working correctly - I think it has something to do with the way the logo is positioned. This is the code:

<div id="topnav">
    <ul class="topnav">
    <li><a href="index.html">HOME</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;||&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </li>
    <li><a href="aboutus.html">ABOUT US</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;||&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</li>
    <li><a href="admissions.html">ADMISSIONS</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;||&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</li>
    <li><a href="curriculum.html">CURRICULUM</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;||&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</li>
    <li><a href="calendar.html">CALENDAR</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;||&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</li>
    <li><a href="faculty.html">FACULTY</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;||&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</li>
    <li><a href="contactus.html">CONTACT US</a></li>
    </ul>

Thank you.
  7. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

We seem to be looking at different pages then. I'm looking at http://christthesavior.org/ where the top nav is this mess (extracted with Firebug):
    Code:
    <div class="menuTop">
    				<span><span id="dnn_dnnNAV_ctldnnNAV" class="mainMenu" tabindex="0" style="-moz-user-select: none;"><span id="dnn_dnnNAV_ctldnnNAVctr61" class=" sel  bc mi mi0 id61 root first"><span class="icn  "></span><span id="dnn_dnnNAV_ctldnnNAVt61" class="txt" style="cursor: pointer;">Home</span></span><span id="dnn_dnnNAV_ctldnnNAVctr65" class=" mi mi1 id65 root"><span class="icn  "></span><span id="dnn_dnnNAV_ctldnnNAVt65" class="txt" style="cursor: pointer;">About Us</span></span><span id="dnn_dnnNAV_ctldnnNAVctr66" class=" mi mi2 id66 root"><span class="icn  "></span><span id="dnn_dnnNAV_ctldnnNAVt66" class="txt" style="cursor: pointer;">Adults</span></span><span id="dnn_dnnNAV_ctldnnNAVctr67" class=" mi mi3 id67 root"><span class="icn  "></span><span id="dnn_dnnNAV_ctldnnNAVt67" class="txt" style="cursor: pointer;">Children</span></span><span id="dnn_dnnNAV_ctldnnNAVctr68" class=" mi mi4 id68 root"><span class="icn  "></span><span id="dnn_dnnNAV_ctldnnNAVt68" class="txt" style="cursor: pointer;">Youth</span></span><span id="dnn_dnnNAV_ctldnnNAVctr69" class=" mi mi5 id69 root"><span class="icn  "></span><span id="dnn_dnnNAV_ctldnnNAVt69" class="txt" style="cursor: pointer;">Blog</span></span><span id="dnn_dnnNAV_ctldnnNAVctr70" class=" mi mi6 id70 root last"><span class="icn  "></span><span id="dnn_dnnNAV_ctldnnNAVt70" class="txt" style="cursor: pointer;">Contact</span></span></span></span>
    			</div>
    The slideshow is working fine in IE7 in the page I'm looking at.

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  9. No Profile Picture

I am a real idiot. I am so sorry - that is not my site. Mine is
    christthesavioracademy.org.

But, I finally got it fixed!

Thank you again!!
  11. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Ah. I see. Did you forget to add links to the footer of your site?

By the way, it's better to use CSS instead of lots of non-breaking spaces ("&nbsp;").

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo