1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Smile Dividing CSS selectors/properties into 10 sections.

It might sound silly but for me it is extremely helpful to cut a language into 10 sections and then learn them in order.

After looking up on CSS for some time i came up with this:

s=selectors, p=properties

1 s[Basic(class,id,*)+Elements]
    2 s[Attributes]
    3 s[Pseudos]
    4 p[Text & Font, Color & Background]
    5 p[Lists, Tables]
    6 p[Column, Position & Display]
    7 p[Box, Flexible Box]
    8 p[Animation, Gradients]
    9 p[Transform, Transition]
    10 p[GeneratedContent, PagedMedia, and some Misc like cursor, unicode bidi, etc]

It is meant to cover all of CSS.
    Did i miss anything?

Thanks in advance (:
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

CSS is not something that you can really learn just by reading and memorizing. You have spend time working with it.

I would recommend that you learn CSS1 and then CSS2 and then learn the CSS3 modules that you're interested in. CSS3 Animations have very limited browser support, so would not recommend that you learn them at this point.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    CSS is not something that you can really learn just by reading and memorizing. You have spend time working with it.

I would recommend that you learn CSS1 and then CSS2 and then learn the CSS3 modules that you're interested in. CSS3 Animations have very limited browser support, so would not recommend that you learn them at this point.
    Yeah i get it, i don't go for pure memorization, the division and order of learning a subject in that manner helps me.

Isn't it the same to learn straight CSS 3? i mean it covers everything, css1/2.
    Ok taking out animations for the time being as you said they aren't supported much atm.
  7. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

CSS3 is modular (a single CSS3 specification would be very unmanageable). It builds on CSS2, but I seem to remember that some parts of CSS2 are not included in any of the current CSS3 modules.

My point is that one can't make very effective use of CSS3 without having a firm grasp of CSS2.

Also, I would not recommend learning just about all of the kinds of selectors in one go. Attribute selectors in particular are something that I would recommend learning after other CSS2 things. Given your list, I would suggest moving it to number 6.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  9. No Profile Picture

CSS3 is modular (a single CSS3 specification would be very unmanageable). It builds on CSS2, but I seem to remember that some parts of CSS2 are not included in any of the current CSS3 modules.

My point is that one can't make very effective use of CSS3 without having a firm grasp of CSS2.

Also, I would not recommend learning just about all of the kinds of selectors in one go. Attribute selectors in particular are something that I would recommend learning after other CSS2 things. Given your list, I would suggest moving it to number 6.
    Welp unlike HTML-HTML5 i didn't found anything in CSS1/2 that is deprecated/removed/discouraged in CSS3.
    Am just saying if different versions don't interfere with eachother and all are used uniformly then there shouldn't be a problem to take it all in one go.
    At least that;s my superficial understanding of CSS.
  11. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

True, the different versions of CSS do differ from the different versions of HTML in that regard.

The saying "the difference between practice and theory is greater in practice than it is in theory" is quite applicable to working with CSS.

You asked for advice. I gave you some. Take it or leave it, it's up to you.

13. No Profile Picture

True, the different versions of CSS do differ from the different versions of HTML in that regard.

The saying "the difference between practice and theory is greater in practice than it is in theory" is quite applicable to working with CSS.

You asked for advice. I gave you some. Take it or leave it, it's up to you.
    I appreciate the advice, just shared my reasoning on it that is all.
    Thanks.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo