1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Why doesn't this CSS work in Firefox??

Hi,

link to wesbite

why doesn't the drop down menu, that works in IE6 not work in Firefox 0.8? It is pure CSS, no Javascript. OK, I know it doesn't validate and don't care too much about that. I know putting tables inside an anchor tag is frowned on but hey, it works and I didn't think it up.

I thought IE was the worst when it came to CSS compliance?

Any ideas how I can fix it?

Thanks,

John
  3. |<.+#f@#+.&.|
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by JonnyboyH
    Hi,
    OK, I know it doesn't validate and don't care too much about that. I know putting tables inside an anchor tag is frowned on but hey, it works and I didn't think it up.

I thought IE was the worst when it came to CSS compliance?
    you sum it up quite nicely,
    non valid code,
    inline element that contains blocklevel elements

and yes MSIE is worst, it accepts this ^^

here is a pure css menu
    http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/menus/demo.html
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, I hate to be a ****, but you answered your own question. It has nothing to do with the CSS, actually, but rather the fact that you're using improper HTML structures. Just because it works with IE doesn't mean much, because IE likes to "interpret" code the way it sees fit.

I can pretty much guarantee that Firefox is simply being strict and actually expecting proper code.

MPEDrummer
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the responses guys, I hope I didn't seem like a pr*ck in my first post when I say I don't care. Of course I'd like it to be valid code, but if it doesn't, well it'll only be like probly 90% of the 'net.

The thing is Firefox does render it OK if you strip out everything else. Look here at the page I found it on. It works fine in Firefox. The only difference in the way I'm using it is in the body tag, I got rid of the Font Size and Color and added an absolute position. Any idea why this should break it for Firefox?

Also the CSS menu Akh linked to on meyerweb doesn't work at all in IE5.5 here at work, I don't think it worked at home on IE6 either. (IIRC)

Thanks again.

John.
    Last edited by JonnyboyH; May 25th, 2004 at 03:29 AM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo