Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Drop down menu problems

I've got a drop down menu that has a hover feature. Problem is that as soon as you try to mouse over the options in the menu after they pop up on the hover on the title of the menu, the menu disappears. it does this in FF and Safari but in IE it works. weird, eh? any ideas?
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If you want specific suggestions, please show us an example page.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Learn CSS. | PHP includes | HTML Validator | CSS validator

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

here's the weblink: advance.byu.edu/sgtest/
    the hover problem is when you hover over "Resources"
  7. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Wow! That's an awful lot of absolute positioning. I suggest you learn more about CSS Layout/Positioning Techniques, especially floats and margins.

You should move the comment that's before the doctype to after the doctype. Where it is now forces IE into quirks mode, which is rarely a good thing.

IE is buggy. In this case its bugs are making this work how you want it to. Give "#menu" z-index:900 and change top:30px to top:28px for ".subMenu".

Are you aware that your page contains errors? The first step in debugging should always be making sure that your code is valid.
    http://validator.w3.org/
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thank you so much, i know it does need work in IE and i will check the validation sites. i did that once before but haven't redone it for a very long time. thanks again!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, I'm back again. I got the drop down working in FireFox and Safari but now IE doesn't like my drop down. Same problem as before where the drop down menu does not stay down when you try to hover over the items within it.

And yes, I know that i have a ton of absolute positioning, I'll take care of that after this problem gets fixed.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Code:
    #topMenu li:hover ul, #topMenu li.showMenu ul
    {
    left: auto;
    }
    Don't rely on auto positioning as it differs in placement in IE and FF. IE's auto positioning is based on many factors, aka text-align:center; on a parent, etc

Change it to left:0;

PS: I'm in IE7 and I don't see any differences. I just noticed potential issues in firebug.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, that now made it so when you click on "Resources" it will stay dropped down and be able to be used. It is functional this way but I would like to have it so it will stay dropped down when just hovering in case people don't think of that option.

Any other ideas?
  17. Eager to learn
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Add visibility:visible to the code segment ryan posted because your dropdown has become a sticky in IE7.
    "Quality of responses may vary. I reserve the right to change my mind for any reason what-so-ever without admitting I was wrong. I'd prefer to change your mind however, it's easier on my ego". - jwdonahue

"so no-one has actually bothered to post an original quote ? what's wrong with making up your own?"
    - marnixR
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I tried the visibility thing and currently have it up. It seems to have done nothing as far as I can see in IE7. What do you mean by it being "sticky"?
  21. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

He's talking about IE7's sticky menu bug.

I don't see what's causing the menu to disappear too early.

23. Eager to learn

Neither do I. This is strange indeed..I'm still working on it, production times slower with Firefox 3.1 beta, with no Firebug on this beta..
    "Quality of responses may vary. I reserve the right to change my mind for any reason what-so-ever without admitting I was wrong. I'd prefer to change your mind however, it's easier on my ego". - jwdonahue

"so no-one has actually bothered to post an original quote ? what's wrong with making up your own?"
    - marnixR
  25. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

You really don't have FF3.0 installed as well? I've got 4 versions of Firefox installed.

To have multiple versions running at the same time, read this.

27. Eager to learn

I know how to, its just that when I downloaded the beta it erased my other versions and right now I am busy because I am recoding my website to have less HTML and with better rounded corners with no images. Kravvitz I PM'd you something about my site because I have never used this technique before and am curious how to fix it.

- marnixR
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

would it have anything to do with any code that you wouldn't be able to see via "View Page Source"? I could provide the needed code if it was needed.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo