#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    205
    Rep Power
    22

    Works fine with Firefox not fine with IE


    I added a tab content js to my main page. I did not change anything at css file. Area where I added tab content js works fine with Firefox but not with Internet Explorer. What happens with IE is that contents at the center of the page moves under. I am not sure if I clearly described the problem. Please take a look at: http://www.pearl.ru/isdunyasi/
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lilyfield NSW, Australia
    Posts
    170
    Rep Power
    771
    You have some serious coding issues in there, there are 2 head and body sections for a start, you need to sort that out before you can expect anything to work with some predictability.
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    205
    Rep Power
    22
    fixed head body thing. but my problem still continues?
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    205
    Rep Power
    22
    I dont get it. No one knows how to fix this?
  8. #5
  9. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA (verifiably)
    Posts
    20,124
    Rep Power
    4309
    The first step in debugging should always be making sure that your code is valid.
    http://validator.w3.org/
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

    If you don't understand an error message, please ask us about it.

    Give ".tabcontent" float: left.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

    Learn CSS. | PHP includes | HTML Validator | CSS validator

    Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    205
    Rep Power
    22
    Karvvitz you are the master of css. Thank you very much. Unfortunately I cannot validate my codes as I am using some serious amount of server side scripting codes.
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lilyfield NSW, Australia
    Posts
    170
    Rep Power
    771
    Originally Posted by yeniuye
    I dont get it. No one knows how to fix this?
    I think if you are asking for free help on the forum you need to be prepared to wait for people who are volunteering their expertise time to look at your problem and help when they are able to.

    For example, I am in Australia and there is a 15 hours time difference between us and I cannot sit and diagnose your code (for free) during business hours (which is now Monday midday - Sunday night your time) so I will not even be able to look at it until tonight after work.
  14. #8
  15. Never give up
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    College Station, TX, USA
    Posts
    2,622
    Rep Power
    813
    Originally Posted by yeniuye
    Unfortunately I cannot validate my codes as I am using some serious amount of server side scripting codes.
    i hate to be blunt (who am i kidding, no i don't) but this is not a reason it is a cop out.

    i've written numerous web applications that involved 10s of externally written libraries and 1000s of lines of code, yet by the time i am done with my app each view validates.

    why? because i have found that you cannot expect anything to behave as you wish unless it is built solidly. sure there are times when crap code will work just as you want it, but those times are few and far between.

    my advice to you is to sit down, work on making your code and markup solid and then worry about the differences between ie and firefox.

    just my $0.02usd
  16. #9
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lilyfield NSW, Australia
    Posts
    170
    Rep Power
    771
    You still have formatting issues that are beyond a simple answer. Your css seems over complicated.

    You should read some standards docs as suggested
    Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    The first step in debugging should always be making sure that your code is valid.
    http://validator.w3.org/
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
    Here are a couple of little suggestions you may want to consider:
    • Your document type and mime do not match, throwing out validators.

    • You document is totally structured on nested divs, I have seem this style of layout done more simply with tables as the overall layout using divs within table elements.

    • For your img you need to add alt="" before closing

    • div id should not start with a number

    Keep up the work and it you will get it to validate
    Last edited by JohnFrank; February 11th, 2008 at 08:46 PM.
  18. #10
  19. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA (verifiably)
    Posts
    20,124
    Rep Power
    4309
    Originally Posted by JohnFrank
    • Your document type and mime do not match, throwing out validators.
    To add to that, XHTML 1.1, when used correctly, is not compatible with IE (as of version 7). Therefore, I recommend that you switch to HTML 4.01 Strict or XHTML 1.0 Strict. (If you want more information, just ask. )

    Originally Posted by JohnFrank
    • You document is totally structured on nested divs, I have seem this style of layout done more simply with tables as the overall layout using divs within table elements.
    I disagree with you here, JohnFrank. Why should you avoid using tables for layout?
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

    Learn CSS. | PHP includes | HTML Validator | CSS validator

    Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  20. #11
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lilyfield NSW, Australia
    Posts
    170
    Rep Power
    771
    Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    I disagree with you here, JohnFrank. Why should you avoid using tables for layout?
    No objection from me, just suggesting alternative methods due to the trouble yeniuye is having with several levels of nested divs and the large css.
  22. #12
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    205
    Rep Power
    22
    Your document type and mime do not match, throwing out validators.
    You document is totally structured on nested divs, I have seem this style of layout done more simply with tables as the overall layout using divs within table elements.
    For your img you need to add alt="" before closing
    div id should not start with a number
    The reason why I had to start some divs with numbers is because I get div id values from my database. I did not add alt="" to my images yet because I image admin panel was not ready yet. Now its ready so thats fixed.
  24. #13
  25. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA (verifiably)
    Posts
    20,124
    Rep Power
    4309
    Originally Posted by yeniuye
    The reason why I had to start some divs with numbers is because I get div id values from my database.
    You should prefix the number with something then.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

    Learn CSS. | PHP includes | HTML Validator | CSS validator

    Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo