1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Firefox div display problem

Here's a 1st for me. Got a problem in Firefox NOT in IE

Sometimes my floated div displays under div next to it, instead of beside it. If I refresh, then it always will display correctly next to it. Realized this was a much bigger problem when I tested in Firefox on another computer and half the pages did it first time they loaded.

Within my div container I have my div menu floated left with a width of 20%, then my div maincontent also floats left with a width of 78%. (I've verified there is 5-10px extra space. So the two are not stretching the entire width)

Tried floating the #maincontent right, but then my footer completely screwed up and couldn't fix.

Not sure what kinda change I might need to make.

Any insights? Anyone else encounter this in Firefox?

Thanks,
    James
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

You may need to post some of your style sheet.
    Have you tried specifying the z-index for both relevant layers though?
  5. Thanks Johnny Hart (BC) R.I.P.

You haven't made any compelling case for both to be float. Why not float your left column and leave the main content static? If you don't want it to wrap under the float, give it a left margin equal to the float width.

cheers,

gary
    There are those who manage to build a web site without knowing what they're doing; thereby proving to themselves they do, indeed, know what they're doing.

My html and css workshop, demos and tutorials.
    Ask a better question, get a better answer.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the input. Went static and now I've encountered some other problems. Firefox will extend #maincontent outside the div or if I make a change where Firefox looks right, then in IE #maincontent will be considerably short of #container's right edge. (change I was making was in width).

I have some re-learning to do. Saw your post recently with link to site with positioning how-to articles. P.I.E., I believe. Think I'll go hang there awhile.

Have come back to one of my FF tabs to find I haven't posted this yet LOL
    Was at P.I.E. and have the answer to my question why static is displaying different in Firefox and IE. I will not express my unhappiness at thinkin I had just finished my first all CSS site to find I haven't. @#*$!

I am prideless,
    James

though I still would like to know why Firefox slips #maincontent under the #menu only sometimes and only on first load, then refresh puts it where it belongs. And this is probably a question for a Moz forum, huh?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

F.Y.I. to others who might have come across above bug in Firefox...

Looks like answer has been found to my little Firefox dilema.

Since it gets fixed on a refresh, it's most likely the slashdot reflow bug. This has been fixed on the trunk and thus will be fixed in subsequent releases of Firefox, but it was decided too risky to check this fix in before 1.0.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo