1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Firefox and IE driving me crazy!

Hi -

I have a small problem with a contact form on my website not working properly and it is driving me crazy, now let me explain.

The website works fine in Firefox and Safari, and almost all the pages work fine in IE.

The only thing that isn't working is the contact page in IE. The contact page works fine in Firefox and Safari.

It's quite tricky to explain to you what I mean really, without showing you. The website is set to a certain width and I have all the margins and paddings correct, as far as I can tell anyway. The contact form is in PHP.

The website should be in the middle of the browser at about 900px wide, but when you go to the contact page the PHP code is for some reason making it align to the left, and making the horizontal menu become vertical and out of place.

If anyone on here knows about CSS and could take a look for me to see what's gone wrong, I don't think it would take to long, it's just something that I am not aware of or have overlooked in the code.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could let me know if you would like to help me out.

I'm new to this forum and I did come here looking for help but plan on sticking around so I look forward to meeting you all.

Huge thanks if anyone wants to help me, will probably only take a few minutes, I would post the link here but I don't wanna get banned as I am a new member.
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Welcome to DevShed Forums, Ash149.

It sounds like something is before the doctype which put IE into "quirks mode".

As you found out new users are restricted from posting URLs until they have made 5 posts. You may need to get around this by leaving out the "http://" and putting a space before each ".". (You will not be banned for doing so.) Yes this rule is annoying, but the administrators say it's necessary for limiting spam.

Please read the CSS Forum Posting Guidelines.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Learn CSS. | PHP includes | HTML Validator | CSS validator

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me, it seems I may have solved it, possibly, well I don't know yet, I'm gonna try putting the php page in an iframe, that should work.

What do you by putting something before the doctype in IE and how it messes it up? Are their alternatives, as you are right, some of the PHP comes before all the html bit.

Thanks.
  7. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

An iframe is rarely a good solution.

PHP is a server-side language. As such it is processed before the resulting page is sent to the requesting user-agent (e.g. a web browser).

You may need to rearrange some of the code to get it to work correctly.

Please post a URL to your page.

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  9. No Profile Picture

Okey here is the link.

Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    An iframe is rarely a good solution.

PHP is a server-side language. As such it is processed before the resulting page is sent to the requesting user-agent (e.g. a web browser).

You may need to rearrange some of the code to get it to work correctly.

Please post a URL to your page.
    Hey,

Here is a URL circasdesigns.co.uk/DM/contact_main.html should work without the www.

The person who let me use his code said to put it in a iframe (i'm new to PHP see, only made small forms before, nothing like this). Don't worry though I gave the person a donation for using his code, so I didn't steal it or anything, I'm just gonna use it untill I have taught myself PHP (currently going through the lynda.com library of videos on PHP )

Thanks mate,

Ash
  11. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

You're welcome.

Your server is probably not configured to process PHP in ".html" files. Also to merge the parent page with the form page would probably require some experience with PHP.

We have a popular PHP forum here for when you have questions about it.

13. No Profile Picture

Thanks

Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    You're welcome.

Your server is probably not configured to process PHP in ".html" files. Also to merge the parent page with the form page would probably require some experience with PHP.
    Hey,

You are a great help here

Incase you thought that before I had the file also saved as html without the iframe I didn't - I have it saved as form.php.

I'm going to have a look at the PHP development forum now, got about 10 more minutes of learning PHP with Lynda to do first

Thanks again buddy,

Ash

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo