1. No Profile Picture
    Blabbermouth Wanker
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

forcing CSS in a frame

If I have frames based site. And one of the frames will contain HTML content that my client has no access to the content or layout. Can I apply their CSS styling to that frame from within the frameset?

as and FYI, the frame is a paid for online database, that they just want to look like the rest of the site, rather than how it looks now - which looks pretty alien.
  3. Potato with a mask

No i do not thik so but..

It is not posible for a page in a frame to pick up css settigs of the page in another frame.

But..

1. If they have an external css file you could jut link your frame to it with one line of code in your head content

<link rel="stylesheet" href="http://path_to_css_file/file.css" type="text/css">

2. If it is an internal css code try viewingg source then copy/paste to other frame.

also in head content.

This is all i could think of.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Blabbermouth Wanker

I think there's a misunderstanding:

I have control of three of teh four frames, they all are styled off an external CSS, that I have written.

into frame 4 I am loading a URL that I have no control over the html content. I want to somehow force that frame to also have the CSS.

If I can apply a CSS to a frameset and it get applied to all frames within that set, or if there is any otyher work around.

7. No Profile Picture
    slacker

If I were you I would replace the frames based layout (which is notorious for bugs and user-unfriendlyness) and redesign it using multiple <div> tags and css positioning. You can create seperate scrollable parts of a page without using frames, and one stylesheet would apply to the whole thing for an example go see http://www.bulliver.com/madprofessor/picdisco.html

say no to frames!!!
    Support the mob or mysteriously disappear!!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

There are advantages to frame(s) that don't accrue to cssP. When you stuff a URL into a frame, the page works pretty much as it was designed. you can follow secondary links, the embedded objects work (even dubs), scrollbars appear when needed and history is maintained, to cite but a few. Try entering:

Code:
    http://demo.ezo.net/pws/mod.php?mod=showinmain&page=http://www.bulliver.com/madprofessor/
    in your browser address window to see what I mean.
  11. No Profile Picture
    slacker

He he,

I guess people will always debate about which techniques they like better. That's the fun of programming: There is always countless ways to do the same thing!

Many problems with frames though - if anyone's interested read this article about the problems with frames .

I'll stick to the CSS. . .
    Support the mob or mysteriously disappear!!
  13. No Profile Picture
    Blabbermouth Wanker

Sorry for the delay - been away on biz

Originally posted by bulliver
    If I were you I would replace the frames based layout (which is notorious for bugs and user-unfriendlyness) and redesign it using multiple <div> tags and css positioning. You can create seperate scrollable parts of a page without using frames, and one stylesheet would apply to the whole thing for an example go see http://www.bulliver.com/madprofessor/picdisco.html

say no to frames!!!
    That still doesn't solve the issue.

My client uses an ASP (application service provider) for it's data mangement - this can be accessed from the web at a URL which is on the ASP's server.

They want to embed this information into their site, but make it look as much like their site as possible.

They can not access or change that HTML page (you can customize it a little - but not to the extent they want to).

So using CSS rather than frames would be impossible.

There has to be some trickery to change a html page to look like you want it to look, if you have no access to the original page.

How about if I capture it with a server side script (ASP available), add the CSS link and spit it out ?
  15. No Profile Picture

I don't think you can apply your CSS settings to an external page .. unless you fetch that page using a script and then display it directly through your site ...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo