1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Form label margin difference between IE 8 & the rest

Hi

http://joy-thestore.ec-campaigns.com/index.php

The first form field "Email" is slightly towards the left but i am not sure why?

here is related CSS:

Code:
    label {
        float: left;
        width: 35%;
        margin-left: 1em;
    }

input {
        margin-bottom: 0.4em;
        width: 50%;  

}

here is an image:

OK i have solved this by creating an I.E hack and manually changing the email to have "more" margin-left so it is aligned with other fields. HOWEVER if you would like to tell me why i need to do this then I will be grateful.
    Last edited by paulh1983; April 17th, 2013 at 06:06 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Loves Diesel Generators
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Can you post the HTML also, from the start of its container to the end.
    If I helped you by some stroke of luck, please add to my reputation by clicking on the icon at the top of my post!
    Perkins Diesel Generators Volvo Diesel Generators xxl.me.uk (my Site)
  5. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

IE9 and IE10 also have this issue. I'm surprised they haven't fixed the bug that causes it. And IE10 doesn't support conditional comments (in standards mode).

The cause is in another rule applied to another element. Hint: What else is inside that form? Can anybody else find it?

Can you post the HTML also, from the start of its container to the end.
    Why do you want him to post it? Don't you know that you can use Firebug to find what the parent is and then go find it in the source for the page?
    Last edited by Kravvitz; April 16th, 2013 at 08:12 PM.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  7. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Upon further investigation, I'm not sure this is a bug, but there definitely is a difference between how IE and other browsers render this example.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

thanks Kravvitz esp warning about 1E10 not supporting conditional statements..

Shall i ignore your statement:

The cause is in another rule applied to another element. Hint: What else is inside that form? Can anybody else find it?
    Last edited by paulh1983; April 17th, 2013 at 06:07 AM.
  11. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Shall i ignore your statement:

That was mainly directed at wellandpower, DonR, RDoyle, and Nanomech. However, through good ole' trial-and-error, using IE's developer tools to disable one property at a time applied to other elements in that form, you would be likely to find it too.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo