Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thank you Kravvitz,

I that is good to know. None of the CSS tutorials I have read even mentioned RGBA so I would have never tried that.

And will follow your suggestions on future posts. I am not much of a forum poster so I don't have much experience with it.

Thanks
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

RGBA is a CSS3 feature. As far as I've seen, most beginner-level CSS tutorials don't include CSS3 features yet, for good reason, because while CSS3 is great, browser support varies a lot. I should mention that IE versions before 9 support very, very few CSS3 features and they support none of CSS3-Colors, CSS3-Selectors, and CSS3-Backgrounds, which are otherwise widely supported. At this time IE8 has many users and even IE7 and IE6 still have a significant numbers of users.

Here are two good resources for checking browser support:
    http://caniuse.com/
    http://reference.sitepoint.com/css
    Last edited by Kravvitz; October 1st, 2013 at 07:04 PM.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. Contributing User

Good morning all,

How many people use IE 8 or below in reality?

Any trustworthy statistics online you can recommend?

Kind regards,

NM.
  7. No Profile Picture

Wouldn't adding

filter:alpha(opacity=60);

fix the old IE issue?
  9. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by Nanomech
    How many people use IE 8 or below in reality?

Any trustworthy statistics online you can recommend?
    Global statistics or statistics for someone else's site aren't all that important. Most sites will have their own special mix of users. Different sources show IE6-8 to have between 11% and 31% of total users. Some even show more IE6 users than IE7 users. A relatively new problem with such statistics is whether mobile browsers are tracked separately or not.

I strongly believe in graded browser support, so I mostly only give IE6 fixes that are the same for IE7. Also while I could use something like CSS3PIE to add support for some CSS3 features in old IE versions, I often don't.

Originally Posted by Space_Goose
    Wouldn't adding

filter:alpha(opacity=60);

fix the old IE issue?
    In some cases, yes. Remember that it applies to the whole element, so if you wanted a semi-transparent background, but fully opaque borders on the same element, it wouldn't work.

As I said before, PNGs are the standard fallback for semi-transparent backgrounds, since they'll work in more than just IE.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo