1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hover style navigation sub-categories in TABLES (ugh)

OK, before everyone yells at me in all caps. This is not my website. I've just been hired to make a few updates. This is a pinnacle cart site, hosted on aplus.net. The pinnacle cart version is quite old and to upgrade would mean an overhaul of the site, which is not in the budget.

So, my dilemma is this..... The client has some category navigations in the left sidebar. Some of the categories have sub-categoies. Currently, when you hover over the parent category, nothing happens. In order to see the sub-categories, you have to clink on an expand link. The clients wants this to work such that when you hover over the parent category, the sub-categories appear. I though I could just go in and tweak the css a bit. Well, when I look closer at the code through firebug, I see that the navigation is all coded with tables.

Can anyone recommend how I can get a nice hover display affect with these tables?

They won't let me give you the url since I'm a new member. You can find it at montanafarriersupply dot com/shop.

Thanks in advance for your help.
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Welcome to DevShed Forums, Montana.

I would not recommend that. The code is just not structured to make that simple. For one thing there aren't any IDs or classes to differentiate the various columns.

What I would recommend would be to add more JavaScript to do that.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo