1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

IE Displays fine, FF and Safari display incorrectly

My page is displaying correctly in IE 6,7,8(CV), but when I view it in Firefox or Safari, it does not display correctly.

The problem I'm having is the div #main is not stretching to allow room for the content in it.

In IE it stretches fine, but in FF and Safari it doesn't stretch at all.

I've been all over the internet searching but I can't find any similar problems/solutions. I've tried whatever I can think of or find.

Can somebody please help me or point me in the right direction?

Page:
    <div id="main"> //problem div
    <div id="sideBar">
    <div id="header">
    &nbsp;
    </div>
    </div>
    <div id="mainContent"> //contains content that I need to be stretched to the height
    </div>
    </div>

CSS Code:
    html { margin: 0; padding: 0; border: 0; }

body { background-image: url(img/bg.png); background-repeat: repeat-x; background-color: #008A32; margin: 0; padding: 10px; border: 0; height: 100%; min-height: 100%; }

#main { font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; padding: 20px; position: relative; border: solid 1px #0C0; width: 760px; margin: 1px auto; background-color: #FFF; }

#sideBar { width: 194px; float: left; clear: left; height: auto; min-height: 100%; }

#header { width: 194px; height: 344px; clear: both; float: none; background-image: url(img/Logo01.png); }

#mainContent { width: 546px; float: right; clear: right; height: auto; min-height: 100%; }

Thanks in advance
    -Mike
  3. No Profile Picture

If I remove the float tags, this seems to fix the problem, but then my page is jumbled.
  5. Thanks Johnny Hart (BC) R.I.P.

You did not properly enclose your float elements. Firefox, Safari, and IE8 in standards mode are displaying correctly according to what you coded.

Any time IE other than IE8standards displays differently from Firefox and the others, IE is wrong. Bet the farm on it.

Study the reference I linked; it has your solution.

cheers,

gary

Comments on this post

• mkman8678 agrees : It accurately fixed the problem I was having at the time.
    • Skipt agrees : Quite amazing how many threads for this one topic comes up...
    There are those who manage to build a web site without knowing what they're doing; thereby proving to themselves they do, indeed, know what they're doing.

My html and css workshop, demos and tutorials.
    Ask a better question, get a better answer.
  7. No Profile Picture

Gary -
    Thanks a lot for the info, it fixed my problem. But now several have arisen. I studied the page you gave me, and while it helped a lot (fixing my original issue) I'm not sure how to apply it to my new issues.

I'm new to CSS positioning. I wish I could just show you my page so you could see the issues I'm having. I will respond tomorrow to this post with a discription of my new issues.

Again, thank you very much for you quick and accurate response.
    -Mike
  9. Eager to learn
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Post a link to your website like so: www .yoursite. com/testpage.html

Cheers
    "Quality of responses may vary. I reserve the right to change my mind for any reason what-so-ever without admitting I was wrong. I'd prefer to change your mind however, it's easier on my ego". - jwdonahue

"so no-one has actually bothered to post an original quote ? what's wrong with making up your own?"
    - marnixR
  11. No Profile Picture

Page: www .greeninkllc. com/index.aspx
    CSS: www .greeninkllc. com/GreenInk.css
  13. No Profile Picture

In IE - displays how I want it to look
    Firefox - The hand holding the globe is incorrectly placed (technically correctly, but not how I want it), but the widths are correct
    Safari - The width on the footer is bigger than the width on the main div, but the hand is where I want it
  15. Thanks Johnny Hart (BC) R.I.P.

To #mainContent, add {position: relative;}. An absolute positioned (AP) element is positioned relative to it nearest positioned ancestor. See 9.3.1 Choosing a positioning scheme: 'position' property. IE<8 positions relative to its ancestor with hasLayout, which is #mainContent, in this case.

cheers,

gary

Comments on this post

• mkman8678 agrees
    There are those who manage to build a web site without knowing what they're doing; thereby proving to themselves they do, indeed, know what they're doing.

17. No Profile Picture

Thank you very much Gary. It seems to have fixed the problem I was having. If I could please bend you ear one more time, in Safari the width of the footer is 40px wider than #main. Besides that, everything is perfect. Thank you very much for your help so far!

-Mike
  19. Thanks Johnny Hart (BC) R.I.P.

It's not that Safari makes the footer 40px wider; you did that. Your main box is 800px wide, and the footer is 840px wide.

cheers,

gary

21. No Profile Picture

I see that, but I have padding and margin on the main box, and safari handles that differently. FF and IE both display it how I want it to look, but Safari renders the css differently, and I'm not sure how to make it consistent with FF and IE.
  23. Thanks Johnny Hart (BC) R.I.P.

I don't know what's happening, but I can tell you what I think is going on.

#main is {display: table;}. I think as a table display, there is confusion about how to handle the padding, which is not a property applicable to table display.

If you replace the display property with {overflow: hidden;}, you should get x-browser agreeance.

Each method of enclosing floats has its own gotchas, but there is always one that will work.

cheers,

gary

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo