Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Ie and safari not showing content of webpage

i can't seem to get my site to view properly in safari and ie, firefox seems to do a fine job (of course).

the left and right sides should show a red shadowed bar but they are not in the browsers listed above.

would someone check the css in firebug and tell me what's happening??

thank you in advance for any help!

the site is greatfoodcoop.com
  3. Thanks Johnny Hart (BC) R.I.P.

Unable to replicate. All browsers render the background/image/color the same. Could you be viewing some cached version of the page or css?

cheers,

gary
    There are those who manage to build a web site without knowing what they're doing; thereby proving to themselves they do, indeed, know what they're doing.

My html and css workshop, demos and tutorials.
    Ask a better question, get a better answer.
  5. Eager to learn
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

would someone check the css in firebug and tell me what's happening??
    Why can't you check?
    firefox seems to do a fine job
    Firebug is for Firefox. (Although there is Firebug lite out there..) If it works for Firefox then firebug won't tell us the problem although looking at code is an indicator...
    Unable to replicate.
    Ditto

Cheers
    "Quality of responses may vary. I reserve the right to change my mind for any reason what-so-ever without admitting I was wrong. I'd prefer to change your mind however, it's easier on my ego". - jwdonahue

"so no-one has actually bothered to post an original quote ? what's wrong with making up your own?"
    - marnixR
  7. No Profile Picture

here's what's not showing in ie and safari

i mentioned firebug so you see the code and tell my why this isn't showing in ie and safari:

body{
    margin:0;
    padding:0;
    line-height: 1.5em;
    font-family: Helvetica, tahoma, sans-serif;
    background:#6C000E url(images/body-bg.gif) repeat-y 50% 0;
    }

i'm sorry, what do you mean by cannot replicate?
  9. No Profile Picture

cache

oh, and kk5st, i've definitely cleared my cache over and over.
    could this be a 'width' issue?

thanks for the reply.
  11. Eager to learn

Um, Firefox for me shows a white background, as do all browsers..try changing the 50% to 0....

Cheers
    "Quality of responses may vary. I reserve the right to change my mind for any reason what-so-ever without admitting I was wrong. I'd prefer to change your mind however, it's easier on my ego". - jwdonahue

"so no-one has actually bothered to post an original quote ? what's wrong with making up your own?"
    - marnixR
  13. Thanks Johnny Hart (BC) R.I.P.

Well, when I first opened the page in my 1024 width browser window, I had no clue which red thingie you were talking about. When I widened the window, the body's background came into view. The same was true on all browsers.

Why would you require so large a window? It's a waste of monitor real estate to run applications maximized. 800 to 1000 px width is more than enough for for all but graphics apps dealing with images for print.

cheers,

gary
    There are those who manage to build a web site without knowing what they're doing; thereby proving to themselves they do, indeed, know what they're doing.

15. No Profile Picture

yeah so

i guess even some versions of firefox aren't showing it. i'm using firefox version 1.9 and i can see what should be there.

there should be a red shadowed bar on the left and right sides of the page.
  17. No Profile Picture

aha!

so i should reduce the size of the background image in:

body{
    margin:0;
    padding:0;
    line-height: 1.5em;
    font-family: Helvetica, tahoma, sans-serif;
    Code:
    background:#6C000E url(images/body-bg.gif) repeat-y 50% 0;

}

??
  19. No Profile Picture

funny though

that image is only 980px. what can i do in the code to make it appear in all browsers??
  21. Eager to learn

Change the 50% to 0 like I said. You wont be changing size, those are positioning coordinates -.-

- marnixR
  23. No Profile Picture

50%

changing to 50% to 0 shifts the entire body to the left.

the 50% centers the body.

any other suggestions??
  25. Eager to learn

place background image on a wrapper..? Are you sure? When I changed it all I noticed was the background appeared...i didn't notice any big changes in layout ...

Cheers

- marnixR
  27. Thanks Johnny Hart (BC) R.I.P.

Originally Posted by triout
    that image is only 980px. what can i do in the code to make it appear in all browsers??
    That background image is 11230px. There's a whole lot of extra width built into the design.

Redo the image so that the first bits of the gray gradients are 920px apart instead of about 1166px.

cheers,

gary

29. Contributing User

For me the page shows fine in Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Safari and IE6. I've got my browsers maximized and I'm on 1680x1050. Smaller windows shrink the design up to the point of the first set width (which is the #maincontainer width of 920px) which is why the shaded red colour on the sides is cut off. You can put a set width on the body to make it the size of the background image to 'force' the shaded red colour on the sides, but that would cause a lot more trouble and annoyance because of the horizontal scrollbar that many people will get and to them it will look like the page isn't being centered properly.

The options are to either leave it like this because personally I don't think that it's messy in any way, or reduce the size of the background image like already mentioned so smaller windows get to see the shaded red colour on the sides as well.
    Last edited by LDHosting; August 12th, 2009 at 10:00 AM.
    Quality European Web Hosting - LDHosting.com
    High Quality, Low Cost Web Hosting Services
    www.ldhosting.com
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo