1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

IE6 horizontal drop-down menu problems

http://rugby.karmoxie.com

I don’t have IE6 but have seen in IETester and online renderers I see that my horizontal menu is vertical on IE6.

PLEASE…how can I fix this? I have looked over so many tutorials on horizontal menus with submenus.
    It finally works on modern browsers, but I have the need for it to work on IE6 as well.

Someone here wrote me about their solution, quite angrily saying I wasn’t using it the right way.

Im trying to use just CSS. I know I am close. Any help is appreciated.

Judy
  3. Eager to learn
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Try specifying widths in your menu, having an auto width can cause the error to occur. I forget whether or not %/em's work (they should..) so try doing it in a pixel width first to see if it helps

Cheers
    "Quality of responses may vary. I reserve the right to change my mind for any reason what-so-ever without admitting I was wrong. I'd prefer to change your mind however, it's easier on my ego". - jwdonahue

"so no-one has actually bothered to post an original quote ? what's wrong with making up your own?"
    - marnixR
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Normal approaches did not seem to work.
    After reading numerous articles, I finally went back to having a separate stylesheet for IE6

Ugh

Judy
  7. Banned

I just made a CSS horizontal drop down.

I used Jquery to make the li:hover work in IE6 (the code for that is inside a conditional comment).

It degrades gracefully - the main navigation links work in IE6 without any Javascript, and the entire navigation is also in the footer at all times. The dropdowns are just a nice extra convenience if you are using a more recent browser than IE6.
  9. Eager to learn

B3n, have you seen the recent discovery of float drop menus? www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639017 Haven't tried on a real site so don't know if it is practical yet, but no JS or CC's or tables either!

Cheers
    "Quality of responses may vary. I reserve the right to change my mind for any reason what-so-ever without admitting I was wrong. I'd prefer to change your mind however, it's easier on my ego". - jwdonahue

"so no-one has actually bothered to post an original quote ? what's wrong with making up your own?"
    - marnixR
  11. Banned

Originally Posted by Skipt
    B3n, have you seen the recent discovery of float drop menus? www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639017 Haven't tried on a real site so don't know if it is practical yet, but no JS or CC's or tables either!

Cheers
    No... but I don't see any mention of "float drop menus" at your link
  13. Eager to learn

That's how they work. If you look at the quiz answers the way to get ie6 menu to work is to use a float drop, if you remember how IE6 works with them.

- marnixR

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo