1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Ie6 utter mess&ie7 mess. safari&opera&firefox alright

You can check this problem in the pink square with curvy corners that I have in
    the url metatradersoftware com(I cannot mention it because of forum fules).

How I am supposed to show you my code if you do not know the url where it is?This post is just for asking a question. Thus, I hope there is nothing wrong with it.
    If you check the site with firefox, opera or safari everything will be alright, though. Do you have any idea why internet explorer 6 above all and 7 make this mess? For the time being, I still do not have any concrete idea about the reasons of this different behavior in these browsers from Microsoft.
    I would appreciate any suggestion.
    Thanks in advance
  3. Classical Computing
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Just one suggestion: you use a lot of things like this in your body <!--[if lte IE 6]>, but as far as I know, the point of these is to declare a special css style sheet in the header (under your main style sheet).

So, for example, in your head section you'd have

<link type="text/css" media="all" rel="stylesheet" href="css/mysitestyles.css" />

and then under it

<!--[if lte IE7]><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/ie.css" /><![endif]-->

I don't know if this is your problem, but it's worth a try. Put any IE specific styles in the second style sheet.
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Arem
    Just one suggestion: you use a lot of things like this in your body <!--[if lte IE 6]>, but as far as I know, the point of these is to declare a special css style sheet in the header (under your main style sheet).

So, for example, in your head section you'd have

<link type="text/css" media="all" rel="stylesheet" href="css/mysitestyles.css" />

and then under it

<!--[if lte IE7]><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/ie.css" /><![endif]-->

I don't know if this is your problem, but it's worth a try. Put any IE specific styles in the second style sheet.
    Good to know because I didn't know that was the main use of this kind (<!--[if lte IE7]>) of instruction. Nevertheless, I already solved the problem by using hacks in css like this:
    html>body #menu ul ul{.....
    I don't find the button on this forum to mark this thread as solved. Does anyone know?
    Thanks
  7. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

@thosecars82: There isn't a way to make the thread as resolved, but as thread starter, there may be an option to close the thread under Thread Tools right above your first post.

@Arem: He's using the conditional comments as a crude way of allowing <ul>s to be placed inside an <a>, so a:hover can be used in IE5-6/Win instead of JavaScript to make the drop-down menus work. I consider it to be a nasty back. The technique has been made popular by cssplay.co.uk. The menus only validate because conditional comments are used to only show the invalid nesting to IE5-6/Win. They also use <table>s that would otherwise be unnecessary and are semantically incorrect.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Learn CSS. | PHP includes | HTML Validator | CSS validator

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo