1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

IE8 compatibility mode

I do a lot of we development work for an intranet site. All users are on IE. Occasionally, I'll develop a page that looks fine in my browser (IE 8.0.6001) but not in others (8.0.7600). I have to set mine to compatibility mode to see what others see.

I thought the compatibility mode was meant to display a web page the way it would in an older browser.

Is it possible that I have something installed on my machine that makes my browser render pages differently? I know this is vague, but I am just wondering if anyone has ideas on where to look.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Compatibility mode is meant to render as if it were IE7. Generally speaking, the default setting is for Compatibility mode to be turned on for intranet pages. So, if you have your browser set to Compatibility mode and your viewers do too, you should see the same thing.

This is all made more complicated because you can use a meta tag to tell IE which mode to use, or the users themselves can turn off/on Compatibility mode.

Personally, I would recommend using a meta tag to tell IE8 to render as IE8. That way you'll get the most standards compliant view available to you.

Put this in the <head> of your document:

Code:
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=8" />

<!-- Or, tell it to always use the latest version -->
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge" />
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

It works. Thanks!

Out curiosity (I use Firefox when I'm developping even though my end users never should) - what does firefox do with that tag? Try to do something with it or ompletely ignore it?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Firefox will ignore it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo