1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

IE8 and Windows 7 vs Windows XP

Hi, I programmed a site that looked fine on in IE8, 9, 10 and all other browsers. I proofed on Windows 7 and on my Mac.
    The client on the other hand has Windows XP, and the site definitely has issues in IE8.

My question is, "Why would IE8 display differently on Windows 7 and Windows XP? Isn't this the same browser?"

I'd also like to know if there are any CSS sites that can help in trouble shooting the differences due to different Windows operating systems.

that's it for now
    thanks
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

How are you testing in IE8 on Win7? Are you using a virtual machine or are you using IE10's IE8 mode? The older rendering modes in IE8+ are only close approximations to the real browsers. It's always good to test in the real thing.

Are you using Win7 Home or Win7 Pro? If the latter, XP Mode is very useful for this kind of thing.

Have you seen this: http://www.modern.ie/en-us/virtualiz...ools#downloads?
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo