1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Talking Implementing iframe-like content reloading using css?

Hi,

I'm about to consider a different design for my (still not publicly visible) personal web site.

So far I have an implementation using tables and iframes.

Transforming table-based design into css-based one seems to be fairly well explained in many places, but there's one thing I can't seem to find.

Once I have my site redesigned, how can I implement a layout in which I would have (for example) one static section/column with links to html content pages and another section/column in which these pages will be dynamically loaded and displayed?

My current implementation does exactly that using iframes, but I guess I'm supposed to get rid of them too sooner or later, following new css-based philosophy.

Any suggestions, examples or links will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

My current implementation does exactly that using iframes, but I guess I'm supposed to get rid of them...
    Iframes cause cancer. This is now been proven beyond a reasonable doubt. I'd get away from them as quickly as possible. Run!

OK, stop while I pull the other one. IFrames are fine. Love 'em. The are slated to be supplanted by the all-purpose <object> tag - but, for now, they are not any part of the move towards separation of content and presentation (style) which is what XHTML/CSS is all about. Cheer up.

You can use an 'invisible' iframe to load external content, which other HTML elements can't do, and the read out the HTML for DOM-based display within those other elements. Very useful. Otherwise, you may chill.

Superb book.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

IFrames are fine. Love 'em. The are slated to be supplanted by the all-purpose <object> tag but, for now, they are not any part of the move towards separation of content and presentation (style) which is what XHTML/CSS is all about
    What a relief , thanks!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo