1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Z-index not working

I am have a main image that I want to appear fixed above other images in an image slider.

It is a Joomla site using favslider as the slider module. They have told me about using z-index and told me that the div containing my image (#slide) must have a smaller z-index than the div containing the slider id=slider class = .favslider). I thought it should be the opposite but no matter what I try, I cannot get it to work.

The site is in development at dev2.cssn.on.ca and I have a few test slides loaded but can't get the main image to come to the top. It looks like I have to use the template.css and favslider.css.

I would appreciate any help or direction. I am doing this for the non-profit that I work for and the site must go live by next Monday and I simply cannot figure this out.

Thanks,
    A
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

You can't just plop in a "position:relative;z-index:10;" just anywhere.

If you are using it inline [which is what I saw on your page], you need to use the style="" attribute for your CSS styling.

EXAMPLE from your site
    Code:
     <div id="slide" class="clearfix" position: relative; z-index: 10;><!--slide starts here-->
    should be
    Code:
     <div id="slide" class="clearfix" style="position: relative; z-index: 10;"><!--slide starts here-->
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks, Don.

I didn't make the change inline - I was directed (by the template & slider programmers to add the code to the template.css file for #slide - which I did. And then in favslider.css to change the z-index of the slider.

I'm not a programmer. Know enough to get around and figure things out on my own usually but this is not something I've ever done so don't quite understand it.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

so, did making the change(s) I recommended, fix things for you or are you still having issues?
  9. No Profile Picture

Good morning Don,

No, I am still having issues. The response I got from support from the favslider is:

"This property applies to divs. In your case, the div that contains the image (#slide) has to have a smaller z-index than the div containing the slider ( class .favslider and id #slider )."

I haven't been able to find the #slider in the files and changes I have made to the class .favslider haven't made a difference. I"m still plugging away but there is so much content to put on and layout that this is my priority right now.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo