1. hiding my <b> from ur <strong>
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Internet Explorer 8 compatibility

OK, so IE 8 comes out, and it has the "compatibility mode" icon, to let everyone know the page is broken when the IE8 doesn't like the particular CSS. Through reading through tons of Microsoft documentation, however, I can't find anything that helps validate your CSS for IE8, or even tell you what it likes and what it doesn't like. It actually has some nice developer tools where it allows you to validate your CSS and HTML with W3C, but to no avail. You can be perfectly validated w/ W3C, and still the icon will show up saying it's broken for IE8 (and, in some cases, it actually is).

Any one know of where I can find a resource to validate sites for IE8, so that that damn icon doesn't keep showing up, and so I can more easily figure out what the heck it is IE8 doesn't like about my site?
    Enjoy my post? Drop some props by hitting the scales button up top. JBL

Website Design in Los Angeles and Washington, DC by PoweredPages.com
  3. Thanks Johnny Hart (BC) R.I.P.

Ignore it. That icon is not informational; it is there, period. (I don't know what it looks like, if different, when in so called "compatibility mode", 'cause it doesn't matter to me; I always write for modern browsers first, and apply work-arounds for IE 6&7.)

Let me repeat: Ignore it. Don't test in compatibility mode; forget it's even there. If you test IE7, use IE7.

Always test in a known to be good browser, e.g. Firefox or Safari. If your site looks right in those, it probably looks right in IE8. If it doesn't look right in Firefox, et al, your code is bad.

cheers,

gary
    There are those who manage to build a web site without knowing what they're doing; thereby proving to themselves they do, indeed, know what they're doing.

My html and css workshop, demos and tutorials.
    Ask a better question, get a better answer.
  5. hiding my <b> from ur <strong>
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

The only reason I don't want to ignore it is because the icon looks like a broken page. So I know my clients will be asking, "Why does IE think my page is broke?" I've found that by placing "<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=8"/>" in the header, it goes away. Took me a long time of searching through their crap to find that.

But there are other pages out there (google.com, cnn.com, etc.) that don't have it even without this meta tag. I've tried using all of their DOCTYPE's etc., but since it's working, I suppose I don't care at this point. Pretty dumb though. If they're going to make a big deal out of it by putting an ugly icon next to your URL, they should at least make it easy for you to fix it.
    Enjoy my post? Drop some props by hitting the scales button up top. JBL

Website Design in Los Angeles and Washington, DC by PoweredPages.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo