1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Internet Explorer, position:fixed, and horizontal scrolling problem!

Hi folks,

I'm working on a website at the moment and having some issues 'fixing it' for Internet Explorer. The design scrolls horizontally, and using 'position:fixed;' on certain elements keeps them on the page while the rest scrolls - this works fine in Safari / Camino / Firefox etc. but as we know position:fixed; is broken in IE.

I tried applying the fix found at http://web.tampabay.rr.com/bmerkey/e...ion-fixed.html but this only seems to work for regular vertical scrolling pages - when scrolled horizontally the "fixed" elements still scroll with the page.

Is there any way possible to get this to work? I really really want to avoid any of those javascript "jumpy" scripts to reposition the element all the time. Thanks all.
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Why do you want horizontal scrolling? Many people find it annoying.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Learn CSS. | PHP includes | HTML Validator | CSS validator

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Ah don't worry, it's not in the way you think - no scrollbars, and the menu moves it - but I don't think I'll be able to use it if I can't figure out how to keep some elements fixed on IE.. maybe I'll have to use a 'jumpy' script for now

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo