1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

issues with CSS in IE <6

http://www.janvanzanen.com is seriously messed up in older versions of IE. The page is 100% standards compliant (both CSS and XHTML).

Could somebody please tell me what i'm doing wrong because i'm really getting frustrated...
  3. No Profile Picture

depends what versions of MSIE, tell me which versions of MSIE & what's the difference between a member and a 'junior' member and I can probably help you out
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

it is hard to ditermine the actuall objects that are supported without knowing the MSIE version. as burozoption said!
    Ryan Jones (RyanJ)
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

i changed the markup a bit, hopefully that will help.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

i haven't been able to fix it today, which is extremely annoying. IE 5.5 and below show the image of the guy and the windmill below one other (http://www.janvanzanen.com/dewaard.jpg), while it should look like http://www.janvanzanen.com/screenshot_mozilla.png.

Actually Mozilla is having issues to: the background should be blue instead of white below the menu and main text. IE 6 displays the page perfectly...
    Last edited by dewaard; October 10th, 2003 at 06:10 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

burozoption: now you know what browser version it concerns, the difference between member and junior member is determined by your number of posts. Could you please help me?
  15. No Profile Picture

gee thanks,
    your using xhtml,
    & your using css,
    if you want people with out of date browsers to view your page your going to have to do some out of date coding. You'll want to do your page in javascript entirely, that has a document.write function that writes a page with a redirect, you get that function to check the user's browser and when the redirect is written the only thing that needs to change is where the user gets redirected to.

It has been my understanding that css is supported in MSIE 3 and up Netscape 4 & 6 HTML 4.01 WebTv and Opera5, so I'm thinking that either I'm wrong or it's just a certain part of your css code that's not accepted by those versions.

If you don't want to code two different versions of your page, (more power to ya) then I would code some sorta pop-up to say that they need a browser update. It's averaged that businesses spend 25% more (according to webmonkey) coding for old browsers. I'm not up for keeping old browsers working okay. The standards now are css & xhtml, bot being an old browsers crutch.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

i don't want to code my whole page in JavaScript, since this is insane and less supported then CSS. Secondly I want compatibiliy back to IE 4.x, which supports CSS1. So my page should be able to load just fine, but it doesn't. That's my problem and I want to solve it using CSS/XHTML.
  19. No Profile Picture

okay, you're about to have no fun,

you need to change the bgcolor to whatever color you want using html (AS WELL AS) css, so that it's standards compliant all over the board, now try either using to <nobr></nobr> tags or making those two images one, if it is still screwed over tell me
  21. No Profile Picture

actually your best bet will probably be making it one image, they are both jpg, they both link to the same document, and this is what yahoo does to make everything below the image at the top fit to the width they want
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

when i make it one image the page will load slower (not exactly, but the users will experience it that way). There must be another way to do this and that's why I have posted this question.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo