1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Where should I go in my language learning?

Hello everyone. Quick question, I have taken the courses on html and css on codeacademy.com and was wondering what I should do next. I've started the course on javascript but I'm feeling a bit confused on the subject, Although I can use html and css to an ok degree should I try to master those completely first before I move on? thank you for your replies.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by shelby1324
    Hello everyone. Quick question, I have taken the courses on html and css on codeacademy.com and was wondering what I should do next. I've started the course on javascript but I'm feeling a bit confused on the subject, Although I can use html and css to an ok degree should I try to master those completely first before I move on? thank you for your replies.
    "If you do not know your destination, it does not matter what path you take."

Where do you want to go?
    Is this about learning skills for a job?
    What kind of job? Front end work? Back end work? Design oriented? Content oriented? ..... What kind of employers are you hoping for? You should probably contact someone in a similar job and find out what they did. You need a way to better assess your skills than "can use to an ok degree."

Are you learning for hobby/personal web sites (or even if it is for a job)? Just start creating pages. When you encounter something you want to be able to do that you don't know how to do, that's your next step.

The web suffers from being a tower of babel. You have such a plethora of possible choices to make on what and how to learn that there is not one right answer on what to choose.
  5. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Some of the most important things are learning what each language can and can't do, how to write code well in each (for example, writing semantic HTML), and how to look things up when you need to know the exact syntax to use.

No, there's no need to learn everything there is to know about the languages you've been learning before starting to learn others.

Have you seen these two sites?
    Eloquent JavaScript: A Modern Introduction to Programming
    JavaScript Tutorial
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo