1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question MSIE Text selection problems with CSS

First off, I'm working on my first site that uses CSS. I learned it quickly and made the site quickly, thus it's a little messy. Anyway on to the problem.

In MSIE6, if you attempt to select text on any of my pages, the selection field covers the entire page. You can't select anything. The page LOOKS right for the most part, just won't select correctly. Here's an older version of the page that still has the problem:

http://www.usm.edu/reslife/index2.html

Try selecting the text at the top or the text in the footer.

I've narrowed it down to the 'maincontainer' id. If I don't set it to any specific 'position' (i'm not sure what the default is) the error doesn't occur, but the div doesn't show up in the correct position. If I set it to absolute, like I need it, it goes to the right place but text selection is fubared.

Any ideas?

(Again, sorry for the sloppy code. I'm working on rewriting it all but this is one of the problems I need to conquer in the process.)

-Mark Achée
    Last edited by sYn pHrEAk; September 6th, 2003 at 06:03 PM.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Well... I have not looked to see what the problem is, but you could always prevent selecting text altogether. Use onSelectStart="return false;" in the body tag... it should be impossible to select text then.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo