1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Navigation Alignment in Safari

Hi All,

When viewed in Firefox on a Mac, the drop down menu works perfectly. I am having a problem with my navigation when viewed in Safari on a Mac. I am not sure about how things function on a PC.

When viewed in Safari, the drop down menu appears unaligned with the buttons it corresponds to. For example, on the following page http://www.oharenoise.org/new/mission.htm when you mouseover "About Us" the corresponding menu shows up under "Home."

The other problem (only in Safari, as far as I know) I am having occurs on the homepage, viewed here. When you mouseover "About Us", "Newsroom", "Residential", "School" or "Technical" the drop-down menu appears in front of the Flash slideshow perfectly, until the slide changes pictures and then the menu falls behind the slide.

Any idea why either of these issues are occurring?

Thanks.
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It must be a problem in the JavaScript code that computes the left offset. My advice would be that you use a better menu system that doesn't rely on JavaScript to generate the sub-menus in the first place.

Superfish and Suckerfish are popular:
    http://users.tpg.com.au/j_birch/plugins/superfish/
    http://htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/dropdowns/
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Learn CSS. | PHP includes | HTML Validator | CSS validator

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Ok, I am unfamiliar with the technique you are suggesting and don't really have the time to master it for this project anyway.

I've used this existing javascript before on other sites with no problems, in fact, I used the identical one (copied & pasted) on the homepage of the above site and it does not offset.

Why would the same javascript work in one page & not another?

Thank you for your information; I will put it to use next time.
  7. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Why would the same javascript work in one page & not another?
    It might have something to do with the home page not using nested tables as the mission page does.

I've used this existing javascript before on other sites with no problems,
    How long have you been using it though? 8 years? (That's approximately how old that script is, which in Web terms, is ancient.) I generally recommend that people avoid using scripts from Dynamic Drive.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Learn CSS. | PHP includes | HTML Validator | CSS validator

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo