1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thumbs down Netscrap 4.x CSS Problems

Hi All,

Surprise, surprise... another Netscrap 4.x moan...

I have written a page template which I am trying to get to be as cross browser compatible as possible. I have layed the page out using <div> layers and the page validates as HTML 4 Strict and the CSS validates. It works fine in IE 6 & Netscape 6, however, Netscrap 4.03 & 4.7 are not showing any styles whatsoever or crashing!

www.shakespearebirthplacetrust.org.uk/sbt3

Could anyone try looking at this page in Netscrap 4.x and let me know if it works or whether it is just my versions that are broken. Also while you are at it would anyone be so kind as to view it in IE 4 or 5 and let me know of any problems (when will Micro$oft let us install more than one browser for testing!!!!)

Cheers

Mike
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

(when will Micro$oft let us install more than one browser for testing!!!!)
    i love VMWARE for this job.... runs win95a in a winXP window

MS won´t ever allow you to. they are bad guys

but for Netscape: you can install as many different versions as you wish...

for your problem: i think NN4.0x does not interpret the divs. NN4.7 should though... but to make it cross-browser you should setup layers without css for Netscape.

there is no real cross-browser. only browser detection can do the job
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

To get your pages to be 'as cross browser compatible as possible' - assuming you mean NS4 as well - you'll need to forget validation, HTML 4 Strict, the W3C and all the other DOMS you may have seen. Navigator's Layers object model & its CSS - which is actually JSSS (JavaScript Style Sheets) - is not really compatible with anything else, and coding for it requires a series of workarounds, hacks, and, above all - persistance. Just scanning your source, you can forget about any of this rendering properly in NS4....specifically, <ilayer>s (position:relative) are a nightmare.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo