Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. The Queen of Typos
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Opera Overflow Support

Just curious if anyone has any resources that explain what type of overflow attributes Opera supports.

I'm working on a site right now and see that in Opera "overflow: auto" is not supported. Is there a known work around?

I am using Opera 9.25

Thanks!
    Last edited by elkehinze; May 8th, 2008 at 07:52 PM. Reason: edited because I meant auto not scroll
  3. Classical Computing
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I am quite new to css, and was surprised to hear you say scroll was unsupported in Opera. I made up a little experiment to test it out, and I can assure you overflow: scroll works perfectly in Opera.

Are you sure you got the css syntax right? I just used this for my experiment:

{width: 200px; height: 200px; overflow: scroll;}

Then I dumped a whole bunch of text into the div to force it to overflow. No problems.

You can check your syntax with the w3c css validator [type "css validator" into Google]. This will quickly show up any css faults.

I use Opera for Mac (version 9.01), but Opera is supposed to be very standards compliant, so should work on Windows too.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you'd like the full code of my experiment.
  5. The Queen of Typos

Let me rephrase that, Opera does not support overflow: auto; The text just continues out of the container.

I understand all about CSS and validation, I've been using it for many years now. I am new to ensuring that my sites work in opera.
  7. Classical Computing

Hmmm, I changed the css to {overflow: auto} and it had the same effect as {overflow: scroll} in Opera. Certainly the text was all contained within the container and I had to scroll to see it all.

O well, perhaps I am missing the point, but it seems to work on a Mac...
  9. The Queen of Typos

I'm using Opera for windows.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi,

I'm not aware of any bugs/lack of support with Opera for overflow, I've never had any trouble with it and just to make sure I did as Arem did and ran some code to see if I could make make it not work. Didn't find anything.

Overflow:hidden/scroll/auto/visible are all supported and work fine.
    This is Opera 9 on Windows.

Most likely there is something else causing the issue. Maybe post some code or a link and we can have a look.
  13. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Opera has supported all of the values of the overflow property for a long time. Opera 7 did have some overflow bugs though. Perhaps Opera 9.2x still has some.

Please post a link to an example of this bug.

Reporting it would be good too (after a minimal test-case is made).

@Arem Welcome to DevShed Forums. I'm pleasantly surprised that you've joined to answer someone else's question and haven't even asked one of you own.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Learn CSS. | PHP includes | HTML Validator | CSS validator

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  15. Classical Computing

Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    @Arem Welcome to DevShed Forums. I'm pleasantly surprised that you've joined to answer someone else's question and haven't even asked one of you own.
    Thanks Kravvitz. I'm pretty new to css (and web design) but I find it absolutely delightful. I love the logic of xhtml and css. I was pleased to find this forum and see what sorts of issues people are talking about. You learn as much (or more) from answering questions as from asking them...(uh oh, I'm sounding sanctimonious...)
  17. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Originally Posted by Arem
    Thanks Kravvitz. I'm pretty new to css (and web design) but I find it absolutely delightful. I love the logic of xhtml and css. I was pleased to find this forum and see what sorts of issues people are talking about. You learn as much (or more) from answering questions as from asking them...(uh oh, I'm sounding sanctimonious...)
    Sanctimonious? No. You don't seem hypocritical.

Answering questions is a great way to learn. I too tell other people that from time to time.

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This explains all the values of overflow property. Take a look at them.

Here's a quote from the page

scroll. always show horizontal and vertical scrollbars, regardless of whether they're necessary. This value is never used; you generally want auto.
    Adwords Professional
    You can give me
  21. Classical Computing

Thanks GameYin. I note in Meyer (The Definitive Guide, p312) that browsers are 'encouraged' to provide scrollbars where needed for the auto setting. Does anyone know if all the browsers currently do so?
  23. The Queen of Typos

Thanks for all the input guys, I got it working. I'm an idiot and had a typo so that's why it wasn't displaying.
  25. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

See why validation is important?

@Arem overflow:auto works well cross-browser. See SitePoint's CSS Reference.

27. The Queen of Typos

Yes and I always use validation. The problem wasn't that the CSS was incorrect as that I had mispelled the div id so the CSS did not match the html.
  29. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Ah. You didn't use Firebug (or a similar tool) to see what rules were being applied to the element?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo