1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Overlay Nested Divs

Not sure about this one- maybe someone can help shed some light on it?

I have a <div> that contains a form. This div is dynamically-sized and floated left. What I want to do is place a nested <div> inside it so that it will cover the form below it.

What's happening is that if I add the nested <div>, it pushes the form in it's container <div> down, which is obviously not what I want. I have tried using z-index on this nested <div> but with no success.

Here is the code I'm using:
    Code:
    <div id="formdiv" style="display:block; padding-right:15px; padding-top:10px; border-right:#A0A0A0 1px dotted; float:left; width:auto; height:100%;">

<div id="overlaydiv" style="top:0px; left:0px; width:100%; height:100%; background-color:#FF0000; z-index:500;"></div>

<form>
        </form>

</div>
    There is other <div> tags before and after the 'formdiv', which are part of the page layout, but do not need to be covered by the 'overlaydiv'. I should note that 'formdiv' is itself inside a container <div>.

I have tried various combination of CSS settings, but they don't give the same result. position:absolute; covers EVERYTHING within the uppermost container <div>, obviously not what I want. I've tried putting the form into it's own <div>, but I get the same result- the form just gets pushed below the 'overlaydiv'.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

- skubik
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Whoops

After doing a little post-posting reading, apparently z-index only applies if the element is positioned (position:absolute). Since using position:absolute screws with my width & height settings, this might simply not work.
    Still open to suggestions though...

Thanks
  5. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Give #formdiv position:relative (which creates a new stacking context) and #overlaydiv position:absolute

Be aware that if you're using any <select> elements you'll need a fix for IE6.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Learn CSS. | PHP includes | HTML Validator | CSS validator

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo