Thread: safari & css

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. PHP Coder
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

safari & css

hello. I am wondering if someone could help me out.

i have is code in my html page:
    Code:
    <div id="tabholder" style="padding-bottom: 10px;">
    <div id="descriptiontab" class="stdtext" style="background-color: #99CCFF; text-align: center; padding: 6px; display: inline; border: 1px solid #6699CC;"><b>Description</b></div>
    <div id="specstab" class="stdtext" style="background-color: #ECF3FB; text-align: center; padding: 6px; display: inline; border: 1px solid #6699CC;"><a name="logdetail" href="javascript:ShowSpecs();"><b>Specs</b></a></div>
    <div id="mediatab" class="stdtext" style="background-color: #ECF3FB; text-align: center; padding: 6px; display: inline; border: 1px solid #6699CC;"><a name="logdetail" href="javascript:ShowMedia();"><b>Image Library</b></a></div>
    <div id="addreviewtab" class="stdtext" style="background-color: #ECF3FB; text-align: center; padding: 6px; display: inline; border: 1px solid #6699CC;"><a name="logdetail" href="/store/reviews.php?action=addreview&itemid=896"><b>Be the first to review this product</b></a></div>
    </div>
    it displays fine in IE (Mac/PC) and Netscape/Mozilla (Mac/PC) but when it comes to Safari it doesnt put in the padding on the top and bottom of the div's like it's told to. am i just missing something here or is there some fix i can do for it. attached is a picturee of what i sould look like and what it looks like in safari. safari is on the top and what's is suppost to look like is on the bottom.

thanks in advance for your help.
    Attached Images
    Jon Whitcraft
    Web Applications Developer :: Zend Certified Engineer
    http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/

Originally said by Tyler Durden
    Our fathers were our models for God. If our fathers bailed, what does that tell you about God? Listen to me. You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you. He never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. It's not the worst thing that can happen to you. We don't need him. **** damnation, man. **** redemption. We are God's unwanted children, SO BE IT! First you have to give up. First, you have to know, not fear, that someday, you're gonna die. It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
  3. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Hi Jon,

Did you try using margin in place of padding?
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  5. PHP Coder

i need to use padding so that the color goes out to the edge....

this is how they work compared to table cells:

padding = cellpadding
    margin = cellspacing

i cant for the life of me figure it out...it really pisses me off...
  7. Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by jon_whitcraft
    i need to use padding so that the color goes out to the edge....

this is how they work compared to table cells:

padding = cellpadding
    margin = cellspacing

i cant for the life of me figure it out...it really pisses me off...
    Wish I could help you more d00d, but I don't have an OSX machine w/ Safari on it here to test

Do you have to do this w/ div's ? Could you switch to tables, and just use cellpadding? Just a thot...
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  9. PHP Coder

well i could but i am moving the detail page to an all css layout..so that would defeat my purpose....
  11. Moderator Emeritus

well i could but i am moving the detail page to an all css layout..so that would defeat my purpose....
    Yeah, I know what you mean... who knows, though - doing it in tables could be just an intermediary solution until Apple and/or K updates the CSS support in the safari/khtml browser. You could move back to divs w/ css once apple/k get their css act together.

[inside_joke]
    Anyway - big deal then if it doesn't work right in Safari... who cares about Mac's stupid ol' browser, anyway?
    [/inside_joke]

13. PHP Coder

ok i have just found something out...it only supports padding on the left and right when you us display: inline; which is what i have to use so that they dont wrap..how stupid is that...hrmm...i'll evaluate some other options...span tags here i come
  15. Moderator Emeritus

ok i have just found something out...it only supports padding on the left and right when you us display: inline; which is what i have to use so that they dont wrap..how stupid is that...hrmm...i'll evaluate some other options...span tags here i come
    lol... cool. Well, at least you found a solution.
  17. PHP Coder

ya not so much..it does the same thing...becuase span tags have default display: inline...it also does not work...i'm trying to find an email address to apple to complain about this browser mishap...
  19. Moderator Emeritus

ya not so much..it does the same thing...becuase span tags have default display: inline...it also does not work...i'm trying to find an email address to apple to complain about this browser mishap...
    The safari page says theres a bug button on the safari browser itself...

http://www.apple.com/lae/safari/
    (search for 'bug' on the page)
  21. PHP Coder

ya but the problem is that the page is on dev not production so i cant send it to them becuase they want the page url....
  23. Moderator Emeritus

ya but the problem is that the page is on dev not production so i cant send it to them becuase they want the page url....
    Ah. I grok.

Well, you could always put up a non-linked page on production, like
    http://www.swillwater.com/test/safari_bug_page.php
    or something similar...
  25. PHP Coder

man i had to go with a freeking table....i spent a good 6 hrs on it yestarday and today and i cant figure anything out...i'll let you know when the page goes live....it rocks...with this i have cut out support for netscape 4.7 hee hee...
  27. Moderator Emeritus

man i had to go with a freeking table....i spent a good 6 hrs on it yestarday and today and i cant figure anything out...i'll let you know when the page goes live....it rocks...with this i have cut out support for netscape 4.7 hee hee...
    Well, at least you got it working, right?

Netscape 4.x is teh sux0r, anyway. I've stopped supporting Netscape v.X < 6. If it doesn't work in Netscape 4.x, upgrade, or suffer.

Yeah, PM me (or post, wtf) a link once its up... it'd be cool to see it live.

What did Apple say (if anything) about the Safari bug?
  29. PHP Coder

they didnt but i spent most the weekend digging though css specifications on the topic and found that it sould be supported for inline items....so they need to get that fixed....
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo