1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Shame On All of You!

WOW! You people are a trip…I am reminded of a lil story of a man who got beat up and left for dead on a busy highway…many people walk up to him…look at him…. and proceed on their way only caring for themselves…however, one person stops and gives aid to the man…and you know the rest of the story.

I’m a simple man. Who’s not afraid to ask for help..came here among what I thought were some brilliant minds…knowing brilliant minds understand the gift of helping others…because people helped them become brilliant…

I posted onto of thread of Sept 12th,,,asking for help…1248 people clicked on…took a look and proceeded on their way…

Were any of you arrive at my ER..I would not hesitate to help..or on the side of a road with you or your family in an accident…I’m the dude that stops and renders aid…
    Shame on you!

I'm out...will stop looking for brilliant minds and go for people with a heart...that will help their neighbor

Comments on this post

• Skipt disagrees : Way to assume everyone knew the answer to your problem.
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

1248 is the number of views of the thread you replied to, not the thread you started. Also with the advent of tabbed browsing and some browsers being able to save open tabs between sessions, those counts might be somewhat inflated. And also one needs to consider that many of the views will be from people who are looking for the answer and therefore can't provide it either.

Perhaps you don't realize it, but the kind of help you're asking for would probably take more than 10 or 15 minutes. Also many of us moderators have each helped hundreds of people with their code and I, for one, have grown tired of helping people who "know diddley squat about writing, reading or dancing with codes" (your words). I much prefer to help people who are actually trying to learn how to write good code, not just wanting to fix their current problem.

There were two more reasons why I, in particular, chose not to help you. The code you found uses techniques that I do not recommend, and Yahoo SiteBuilder may well cause problems that I have no interest in dealing with for free.

Also your analogy is like comparing apples to oranges. Needing emergency medical assistance or being stranded on the side of the road are very different from having trouble getting a web page to look good and work correctly. There are dozens of other places where you could ask for help in your case. So I wish you better luck in finding help elsewhere.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thank You Kravvitz

Thank you...number one..I have absolutely no idea even after reading the newbie intro thingy..how groups like this work...but you just explained it to me...

I found you in every search I did looking for answers and your site kept coming up...stating it was a site for people to interact and get help...go google CSS IE9 fixes and see what comes up..you are close to the top of the list...

Might I suggest that you post something to the effect.."Don't come here if you don't know anything!"

So simple me..says "Well, let me go and ask"...and look at just how simple that was with you just answering and explaining as you did how things work here...is a big help....i.e my problem is more involved than I thought...takes more than 15 minutes...I didn't know that!!!

I can dig getting tired of doing something over and over you know how many overdoses I see in a week..people throwing up on me..yeah, I get tired too...and I sure would like to deal with a higher class of clientel also...but county hospital ERs most times just do not get that luxery...

Negative on the apple and oranges...people needing help in anything that involves humans is the same...they need help with something they cannot do themselves...no matter what the issue...brother...what may not be important to you may very well be to someone else...

Shoot...I didn't know I could pay someone to hook a brother up..I'll look into that...I just saw that you looked at the others person's problem and made a suggestion about changing DOC TYPE......I followed what everyone else did...posted my code and asked for someone to take a look and see if the were willing to help...

Sorry I didn't know yahoo sitebuilder was all what you said..I don't know all those internal nuiances until someone like yourself tells me..like I said I'm just a simple wysiwyg...and trust me bro...there are millions of us out here...so in that I don't feel bad...not being as hip as you..

I'll bet a dime to a dollar you would not know about medication like I do...but if asked..I'd try to help you out....even after doing it hundreds of time from being a Viet Nam Medic, Paramedic, RN and Flight Nurse... ...

But thank you for explaining things to me..I REALLY do appreciate that...I'll keep looking....
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I just now looked at your code in your thread and found one thing that will most likely cause you issues.

I would firstly, use the HTML Validator link in Kravvitz's signature to go have your code checked [always a good thing to do regardless of who you are when coding web pages].

But, in any case, I did one little change to your code and the drop menu seems to work fine in IE9 for me.
    If you move your <style> section to just inside your </head> tag and change <style> to <style type="text/css"> , I think you will have your working code.

I posted the revamped code in your "asking" thread.[or will in just a minute ]

As Kravvitz already mentioned, I, too, dunno what other things might cause you issues when using the Yahoo sitebuilder.

But, good luck to you, otherwise.
  9. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by Nathanael99
    Might I suggest that you post something to the effect.."Don't come here if you don't know anything!"
    That's not what he's saying. He's saying that your post appears to indicate that you have no interest in learning and would like for us to do your work for you for free.

So simple me..says "Well, let me go and ask"...and look at just how simple that was with you just answering and explaining as you did how things work here...is a big help....i.e my problem is more involved than I thought...takes more than 15 minutes...I didn't know that!!!
    Another indicator that you'll be a help vampire (read that link) is that you don't possess enough skill to even determine the scope of your issue.

I can dig getting tired of doing something over and over you know how many overdoses I see in a week..people throwing up on me..yeah, I get tired too...and I sure would like to deal with a higher class of clientel also...but county hospital ERs most times just do not get that luxery...
    Yes but we do this for free on a volunteer basis. We have the luxury of choosing only the fun or interesting problems.

Negative on the apple and oranges...people needing help in anything that involves humans is the same...they need help with something they cannot do themselves...no matter what the issue...brother...what may not be important to you may very well be to someone else...
    Helping you with CSS is not the same as helping a motorist stranded on the side of the road or helping a bleeding person who steps into the ER. Drawing that parallel doesn't help us think you'll be reasonable in a discussion. Just because the word "problem" can describe two different situations doesn't mean "my fridge is too full for the groceries I just bought" should be given the same attention as "someone drove a knife through my hand."

Shoot...I didn't know I could pay someone to hook a brother up..I'll look into that...
    You didn't know you could pay someone to perform work?

I just saw that you looked at the others person's problem and made a suggestion about changing DOC TYPE......I followed what everyone else did...posted my code and asked for someone to take a look and see if the were willing to help...
    And the risk you take is that nobody will want to or be able to help you for free in a reasonable amount of time. When that happens, try to refine your question or post in the hire-a-programmer forum.

Sorry I didn't know yahoo sitebuilder was all what you said..I don't know all those internal nuiances until someone like yourself tells me..like I said I'm just a simple wysiwyg...and trust me bro...there are millions of us out here...so in that I don't feel bad...not being as hip as you..
    In general, a free or cheap thing is worse than the more expensive things that fulfill the same task. This is another fact you do not need to learn from us.

I'll bet a dime to a dollar you would not know about medication like I do...but if asked..I'd try to help you out....even after doing it hundreds of time from being a Viet Nam Medic, Paramedic, RN and Flight Nurse... ...
    This would be lovely information on a medical advice message board, though you should be aware that giving the medical advice you've suggested here may be illegal in some states (though I'm not a lawyer and this should not be construed as legal advice).

But thank you for explaining things to me..I REALLY do appreciate that...I'll keep looking....
    The new user guide in my signature pertains exclusively to the PHP boards, however it has some general purpose advice in the first few sections for everyone. Give it a read.

-Dan
    Last edited by ManiacDan; September 19th, 2011 at 09:03 AM.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo