1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi everybody,

In Netscape, scrollbar won't work ,if you are using css.
    I tried writing lot of javascript code,but I felt easy solution,for this is just create empty span at the end of code,
    like this one ,that's what I m using

ex code:
    <span id="scrollgenerator" style="position:relative;top:100%;left:100%">
    </span>

this works for me,and I hope this 'll work for everybody else also.
    I m working on javascript for this,so that ,It won't show extra size of scrollbar.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ajayvinayak:
    Hi everybody,

In Netscape, scrollbar won't work ,if you are using css.
    [/quote]

Really? I don't seem to have any problems. Let us see the code that won't work plz.
  5. No Profile Picture

add:

I forgot to mention,if you are using css alongwith dynamically generated layers,with javascript(DHTML).
    I felt like ,that I 'll recieve,a message from someone,who is facing such a problem,If you 'll take a look ,around on internet.You 'll see lot of developer ,talking about this bug.
    I was thinking ,this place is for sharing ideas,between Developers.Mr RedFox(I wonder),if that is your real name,I don't have that much of time,and you seems to be a student,So I can 't just waste my time proving myself,right.Yes I want to share my ideas,As some time ,somebody(Developer)is desparately looking for solution,this solution is ,just right for him.If you just want to have taste of that problem(I really wonder,if you have that much of time,arguing,experimenting).

I 'll say, try to create two or three dynamically layers one over,another,and try to position those layer with (position:absolute).
    ,along with css ,that 'll be enough.

Thanks.

With warm wishes.

[This message has been edited by Ajayvinayak (edited December 11, 2000).]
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the additional info, although there is no need to get personal here. As you seem very interested my person though, I can tell you that my RL name is NOT RedFox, and I work in web-based application developement.

Yes, this Forum is for solving problems and sharing ideas, not for anyone to waste time (except maybe the people trying to help you, depending on the way you look at it). For obvious reasons a certein level of information is needed to approach a given problem. I'm sorry if me asking for that offended you.

Seeing that I don't work with dynamically generated Layers in combination with DHTML and CSS I'm not sure if I'll be able to help you, but I'll have a look into it.
  9. No Profile Picture

Hi there,

That's good,if you work in web-based application developement.

What,I 've posted is not a problem,it's a SOLUTION for everyone,if you look at it carefully.You need to put this tag at the end of Dynamically generated layer.

Alternatively,you can make this empty tag visible at the end,after generating layers.

I am working on cross-browser ,lib for generating dynamic layers,and this was a major problem,if displayed content is too long,then browser hide that content,and scrollbar does not show up at all,and we can not view the full content.

So the WORK AROUND is to, put this empty tag at end.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Ajayvinayak (edited December 12, 2000).]
  11. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up Thanks for the netscape scrolling solution

I had the same problem using <div> tags for positioning several page elements in my template.html file, which was displayed by A LOT of php pages in my global corporate intranet. This is a strange solution, but it works. I just want to say thanks.

By the way, I really don't like developing for Netscape, but people seem to like browsing with it.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

netscape which?? I have found problems getting a code that works in netscape 6 and 4.7 ... I dunno what ya mean to do with the span thingy... i am having problems with freaki netscape and scrollbars and scrollers.. bleh..
  15. No Profile Picture

We use Netscape 4.7 and I.E. 5. Netscape 6 is not supported by my team, because it sucks and none of my <quite extensive> javascript menus work with it.

In my template.html file, I have several <div> tags that set up my header, menus, and page content area. I have an open <div> tag at the end of the file, which sets the content location, that looks like this:

<div style="position: absolute; left : 180px ; top : 150px; width: 600; z-index: 1; font-family : Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif ; font-size : 12px ;">

...the file ends here with no more code.

In my php files, which are all unique and which reference the template.html file, I close the tag at the end of each file:

</div>
    </body>
    </html>

Netscape 4.7 can't handle what I'm doing, so it doesn't bother to display content that exceeds the browser window size and doesn't display scroll bars. So, what our friend here has done is to add a <span></span> tag at the end of the file. I don't know why this works, but it does. Here is what the end of my template.html file looks like now:

<span id="scrollgenerator" style="position:relative;top:100%;left:100%"></span>

<div style="position: absolute; left : 180px ; top : 150px; width: 600; z-index: 1; font-family : Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif ; font-size : 12px ;">

I hope this helps to clarify the issue.
  17. Madden Maniac
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Talking Excellent solution

Thanx mate for an excellent solution for the scrollbar problem... I've got dynamic web-pages, which are growing all the time and I want them to work with NN 4.x also. This problem has bugged me for 2 weeks. And finally an answer...

I can't thank enough...

Miska
  19. No Profile Picture

Exclamation More about netscape scrolling...

FYI, I have had to change the 'top:100%' code to a higher percentage, based on the actual length of my longest screen (which only shows all content when I set this span tag to 'top:220%'). Just thought I'd give you a heads up, in case you encounter the same <very strange> problem.
  21. No Profile Picture

Exclamation Another solution without <span>

I tried the SPAN tag and got somewhat odd results since I was using several layers in all sorts of positions on the page. The style in the SPAN tag gave me the idea to try using position:relative in the style for my layers. I left the absolute positioning (top, left, width, height) in the style for my layers and for some reason, the layers kept their absolute position on the page, but the scrollbars appeared in Netscape 4.77! Those wacko Netscape programmers...
  23. No Profile Picture
    Clueless llama
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I dont get it. You put the Span IN the Div? Where does it go exactly. I tried putting it in my div and it didn't help.
  25. No Profile Picture

I didn't use the SPAN tag at all, just set the DIV tags to be relative instead of absolute. I also left the absolute positioning in the DIV tag, as follows:

Code:
    <div id="lyr_references" style="position:relative; left:200; top:486; width:540; z-index:1">
  27. No Profile Picture
    Clueless llama
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I tried that too Neur0n, and though it still displayed it absolutely, it did not display with the scroll bars. Mine is generated by a javascript object and has many other style attributes that may be affecting it somehow. I will test it some more with the relative postioning.

However, if anyone can post a code example with the span that works I would be forever grateful.