1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Son of Suckerfish & IE7 (just a little hack)

If you are having problems with Son of Suckerfish and IE7, where the drop down menu will not disappear like it should. Take out the javascript because you do not need it with IE7, but if you still want IE6 to work then put it in.

For IE7, you need to add

Code:
    *:first-child+html #nav {
    height: 1%;
    }
    *:first-child+html #nav li {
    height: 1%;
    }
    to your css and you will be fine. Don't ask me why, Don't ask how, i just chalk it up to just IE
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Which version of IE7 did you test in?

Which doctype where you using?

Don't forget that IE7 will not work in Win98, WinME, or Win2000. We still need to support IE6 for several more years.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Learn CSS. | PHP includes | HTML Validator | CSS validator

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. No Profile Picture

DOCTYPE: XHTML 1.1

I am still supporting IE 6 and below. I am just pointing out that you can just have the javascript file included for IE6<. I was just pointing it out so people could know what to do when this happens .

With IE7, if you included the javascript sfHover with IE7 it will mess up the menu when hovering over each one. The 2nd level would just freeze until you hover over it again.

For a vertical menu the solution to have it work with IE7 was just to take off the width from the <li> tag and it would work, but if you have a horniztal bar with a background, it will mess up leaving the 2nd level dropdowns hovering with the mouse over.
  7. No Profile Picture

In case anyone is still having an issue with this, I posted a simple fix at http://www.builtfromsource.com/2006/...downs-in-ie-7/
  9. No Profile Picture

G'day,

I wish this solution for IE7 worked for me, but sadly it's the second solution I've tried to this problem without any success.

Maybe I'm just doing something wrong. Any help would be most appreciated.

Best Regards, Lloyd Borrett.
  11. No Profile Picture

Trivialnight, thanks for sharing your fix. It was just what I was looking for, and works like a charm for me.
  13. No Profile Picture

Trivialnight -

Thanks, worked for me too!
  15. No Profile Picture

Obviously I must be doing something wrong.

The two sites I'm having problems with are both XHTML 1 Strict. I don't know how to tell if IE7 sees them in "standards" or "hack" mode.

I put the script in a conditional comment so that IE7 doesn't load it. So then no dropdowns were happening. So obviously IE7 still doesn't properly implement hover.

I then added those two IE7 hack lines to my IE CSS file. This CSS file is loaded by MS conditional comments if the browser is IE. But that made no difference. Putting those two lines into the main CSS file caused them to come into play. (I'm not sure why, but that's not important right now.)

So then I had the menus dropping down in IE7, and still working as they used to in IE6 etc, plus Firefox etc.

Unfortunately, the styling of the IE7 dropdown was wrong. And I just couldn't fix it. Playing with the height of the first hack item helped, but didn't fix it.

Also, when you try to move the mouse from the horizontal menu, which triggers the dropdown, onto the actual dropdown menu, the dropdown menu goes away. If you move the mouse very quickly and accurately, it stays, and is working. Seems to be some gap between the horizontal menu and the dropdown that when you move from one to the other the hover is deactivated.

See w w w dot p r a g m a t i c t r a i n i n g dot c o m dot a u

Any help would be most appreciated.

Best Regards, Lloyd Borrett.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo